Stopping on Private Property

Status
Not open for further replies.

123kyrie

So I came out of a Race Track gas station and there was a stop "line" which I didn't notice at the time. I had a car in front of me, which was waiting to turn left from the gas station. Once the other car had gone I noticed that there was no more traffic coming so I kind of rolled to a stop and just went.

Than the cop pulled me over and gave me a ticket saying I didn't stop on private property.

So I wondering if they have the right to give me a ticket if its on private property, and that there was no stop sign and clearly no traffic coming?

I am going to court for this ticket on the august 24th to try appeal the ticket or make the fine less.
So if you have any advice on this, any would help.

Thanks.

123kyrie said:
So I came out of a Race Track gas station and there was a stop "line" which I didn't notice at the time. I had a car in front of me, which was waiting to turn left from the gas station. Once the other car had gone I noticed that there was no more traffic coming so I kind of rolled to a stop and just went.

Than the cop pulled me over and gave me a ticket saying I didn't stop on private property.

So I wondering if they have the right to give me a ticket if its on private property, and that there was no stop sign and clearly no traffic coming?

I am going to court for this ticket on the august 24th to try appeal the ticket or make the fine less.
So if you have any advice on this, any would help.
Thanks.

Save yourself lots of trouble and effort. Why not take traffic school?

Was there a stop SIGN?

This does not sound like a place where the failure to stop behind the line would apply. There are other rules about entering the roadway that simply require you to yield the right of way.

Check the citation for the actual code you were cited for violating and we can look it up and proceed from there.

On the surface it sounds like something that is beatable.

What section are you charged with? Is there a law that says you must come to a complete stop prior to entering a roadway? Did you cut out in front of a vehicle?

Without knowing the code section it is hard to say whether the section might be appropriate or not.

The citation number is 363800.

There was no stop sign nor traffic, I thought I could yield to traffic.
I cannot find a TX statute for 363.800 or anything close to it that deals with anything like this.

Do you know if this is a local municipal code?

yeah my tickets from the municipal court.

Ask the court to give you a deferred disposition, essentially a 90 probationary period. You don't have to report to a PO, just don't get any tickets during the 90 days, pay a fine, and the ticket is dismissed after 90 days. In most courts, the clerks can take your money and your plea. Don't have all the money, most courts let you make payments. Ask about deferred disposition/sentencing.

Texas is one of those annoying places where the statute is not always entered on to the citation but, instead, added later. The text describing the violation seems to be okay but the statute is not ... go figure.

The number you gave previously of 363800 is that next to the text of the violation, or is that the preprinted number at the top of the citation indicating the serial number of the citation? If it IS the offense code section, tell us what city (or county if this was not in a city limit) this occurred in so we can check the local municipal codes.

Somewhere on the citation it will say what you allegedly did...
If it is like many other TX citations I have seen, it may just say, "Failed to stop," or something equally as vague.

I have a couple friends who used to be cops here but are now in TX and they constantly shake their heads over some of the practices there such as this. My favorite quote from one was, "The laws here are more like 'quaint suggestions' than strict laws."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back