My mother is threatening to sue me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

proudmommy22807

I am a 24 year old single mother of one, recently filed for SSI/SSD, I am a student in college. I live in an apartment on my own with my fiance'. My mother and I recently got into a huge fight, and she's threatening to sue me for items she gave me of her own will without any terms before she became angry at me. For example: furniture, my car, cash, groceries bought, etc. She's saying she has receipts to document over $25,000 worth of various items. She's done this before, in 2008, when she then threatened to take my son from me for negligence with no supporting documentation whatsoever. I have been on my own since 2008, when she and I parted ways. I was homeless for a week at that time until a friend took me in. Basically, she does this every time we have a disagreement, holds things over my head until I give in. This time I refuse to give in. My question is this: Can she sue me over things she gave me as gifts? She has no documentation that I ever agreed to pay her back, as she never asked for it to begin with. Also, can she take the items back? My car is registered to me, the furniture is in my house, and my computer was bought by she and my step-dad for school use but is registered in my name. Please let me know something as soon as you can, and thank you very much!

I am a 24 year old single mother of one, recently filed for SSI/SSD, I am a student in college. I live in an apartment on my own with my fiance'. My mother and I recently got into a huge fight, and she's threatening to sue me for items she gave me of her own will without any terms before she became angry at me. For example: furniture, my car, cash, groceries bought, etc. She's saying she has receipts to document over $25,000 worth of various items. She's done this before, in 2008, when she then threatened to take my son from me for negligence with no supporting documentation whatsoever. I have been on my own since 2008, when she and I parted ways. I was homeless for a week at that time until a friend took me in. Basically, she does this every time we have a disagreement, holds things over my head until I give in. This time I refuse to give in. My question is this: Can she sue me over things she gave me as gifts? She has no documentation that I ever agreed to pay her back, as she never asked for it to begin with. Also, can she take the items back? My car is registered to me, the furniture is in my house, and my computer was bought by she and my step-dad for school use but is registered in my name. Please let me know something as soon as you can, and thank you very much!

Of course she can sue you.
She can sue anyone she wants.
The question you should be asking yourself is, can she win?
No, unequivocally, no.
Based on what you've posted, she can sue, but she won't win.
If I were you, I'd ignore her.
She's just venting and behaving poorly.
Besides, there is no way she can sue you in a LA small claims court for $25,000.
LA small claims limits such law suits to only $3,000.
She could sue you in a higher court, but then she'd need an attorney.
No attorney would take a crappy case like she says she has.
So, ignore her ranting and raving.

proudmommy22807 said:
Thank you very much! I appreciate it. I figured as much, but wasn't 100% on the laws in my state. Thanks again!

Well, now you know. Always take the time to see what your rights are before doing anything. You're welcome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stop listening to her. Unless MOM can prove the cash was loans, she is probably out of luck and she cannot take back gifts.

My suggestion..stop taking all of this stuff even if offered and stop communicating with her.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back