Can one parent be awarded child support if custody is 50/50?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mscott

Ok, I thought things were solved, but now my ex has me worried he is up to something else.

I had sent him an email, trying to come to an agreement that we could bring to the mediation when I return to Michigan in a couple of weeks.

I thought given our circumstances, that a 50/50 split on expenses would be the fair thing to do, since we are both trying to rebuild after bankruptcy. No child support. I know that his finances would be tight, and mine are ok since I have remarried.

I thought this was the fairest thing to do, but when I talked to him about he, he is not so sure that is fair, which leads me to believe that he is still planning on trying to get full physical custody and child support. At the very least child support. He grosses 5000k a month, I will be grossing (once I find a job) im guessing about 2000k to start.

He is planning on moving his girlfriend and her kids in with him, She is a distance away, so she would have to quit her current job. Now it seems his plan is to get child support from me, so that he can support all of them.

Im assuming this because I know him, and the way he is avoiding an agreement, leads me to believe he is up to more. He attempted to get child support a couple months back, but the courts denied it.

Our agreement was for me to get through school, I was going full time (accelerated) class. The point was for me to get done as quickly as possible so that I could get home as soon as possible.

Im not sure if I should just wait and see if he does anything, because I would assume that the courts would rule in my favor of child support, not him. Which isnt even what I want, I wanted us to just come to a fair agreement, but it seems as though it will never be enough for him, until I am supporting him. (paybacks I guess)

Im just so frustrated with all this. Why does he have to keep wanting more and more.

I feel like I would have to come to Michigan with a home immediatly, to be able to do a 50/50, but finacially that will be very hard to do.

Im Michigan, can support be awarded in a 50/50 case, and if so, who would end up getting it? I can't find a calculator that takes parental time into consideration.

Yes, support can be awarded in a 50/50 physical custody situation. The parent with the higher income would generally pay, though health insurance and other considerations may affect that.

You can find the child support manuals and tables at the link below:

http://courts.michigan.gov/scao/services/focb/mcsf.htm

Be sure to check out the manuals, as the tables reflect a traditional parenting time schedule, not 50/50. You can find the formula for equal parenting time in the manuals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back