Landlord wont pay bill, help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

andi2284

We moved in the 15th of January and had the power and water turned on the 14th. We recieved our first bill from the company and it was $534! My husband is in the Army, and was gone the majority of that time, so it was just me. I knew there was no way I used that much, since its almost impossible. I took the bill to my property manager and told her that there was somethign wrong with the house if the bill was this high. After inspecting the place, it turns out there was a huge water leak under the house. It leaked onto the heating system, causing it to short out, the ducts to sag and fall (resulting in no heat in half the house) - which in the long run, caused the system to work too hard and a high electric bill. We had just moved in and did nothing to cause this, so its not our fault. She is paying for the repairs, but is refusing ot touch our outrageous electric bill. I've been told by many people it is thier responsibility (whether it be my rental company or the actual landlord) to pay the portion of the bill that is due to poor maitnance of the house. We don't have that kind of money just laying around to even pay for the bill and have someone pay us back! Do we have any rights here as the tenant? If it is written in the lease that they don't have to pay the bill, is there a way to still get around it?

This is a problem. Definitely take pictures, lots of them. Get a report that reads to your satisfaction as well if you can. You should look at your lease but it is the landlord's responsibility to maintain the property, generally. This is unless you have something called a "triple net lease" which is usually a reduced rent in return for maintenance of the property -- and even this may not qualify within the expenses that a tenant must pay. First, whose name is the bill under? Second, you may want to discuss the matter with your utility company and have you done so? Third, you may may be able to subtract the amount from the rent (it is called abatement) but FIRST send your landlord notice, in writing, of the amount you are seeking and a copy of the bill and report. The landlord should not be able to bring eviction proceedings against you and would be foolish to do so since he will very likely lose in court and have to needlessly pay for legal fees.

andi2284 said:
We moved in the 15th of January and had the power and water turned on the 14th. We recieved our first bill from the company and it was $534! My husband is in the Army, and was gone the majority of that time, so it was just me. I knew there was no way I used that much, since its almost impossible. I took the bill to my property manager and told her that there was somethign wrong with the house if the bill was this high. After inspecting the place, it turns out there was a huge water leak under the house. It leaked onto the heating system, causing it to short out, the ducts to sag and fall (resulting in no heat in half the house) - which in the long run, caused the system to work too hard and a high electric bill. We had just moved in and did nothing to cause this, so its not our fault. She is paying for the repairs, but is refusing ot touch our outrageous electric bill. I've been told by many people it is thier responsibility (whether it be my rental company or the actual landlord) to pay the portion of the bill that is due to poor maitnance of the house. We don't have that kind of money just laying around to even pay for the bill and have someone pay us back! Do we have any rights here as the tenant? If it is written in the lease that they don't have to pay the bill, is there a way to still get around it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back