Alcohol & Drugs: DUI, DWI Ohio CCCW Law Change

Status
Not open for further replies.

jacomus

Hello,

My question is about the Ohio CCW law. In the late 90's I received a misdemeanor conviction for drug paraphernalia and also a DUI. I have no convictions since then. Recently, I became interested in the owning and carrying a firearm. However, I could not because I was legally disabled under ORC 2923.13.

I wanted to have the drug conviction sealed but this is not possible under the statute because of the DUI. So, I filed a motion in the Common Pleas court to receive a Relief from Weapons Disability under ORC 2923.14 and this motion was granted.

I visited the Sheriff's department and inquired about the CCW application. They took a quick look at my record and said that the relief from disability no longer enables me to have a CCW and my application would be denied.

I argued that the the application for CCW under ORC 2923.125 specifically states in section (b)(5) that because of my relief from disability the Sheriff may not consider my conviction in this application. They told me that a new law has been passed which over rides this but I cannot find this law written anywhere. They also said it would be denied and the application fees are not refundable.

Could someone please let me know what to do? I cannot find this new law anywhere and I don't want to have my application denied.

Thanks!!

Go visit your local county prosecutor or district attorney and ask for clarification.

They should be able to tell you if what you desire is possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back