Restraining Order Against Roommate

Status
Not open for further replies.

jalley1959

I'd like to know if it's possible to File A Restraining Order against my new roommate? This woman that I hardly know and just briefly met a couple of days ago as she just paid rent for room next door to mine, unfortunantly for me as she does not mind her own affairs nor does she keep to herself and she does not work ... she claimed to have student loan funds and going to start school next week but is Harrasing me every day when I get home from work and she seems to have a psychotic behavior as today when I was sleeping in my room behind my locked door, I was awakened by her loud voice shouting my name over and over again???? I was so exhausted as I am security officer and need to be up at 4:00 am and on my Post at 7:00 am and she apparenly does not have to be anywhere ? Just a lot of time and apparently money to rent rooms and be all to concerned with me and my commings and goings.

The Police over the phone told me that I could file a Report because I told them that I wish to document these new circumstances as I fear they will continue and just ger worse!

I would like to know if you know or anyone out there and you especially mighty moose if I might be able to file a Restraining Order against her?

I know she is renting the room next to mine and that's why I am so alarmed and her behavior is eractic and bizarre.

Thanx
JA

I'd like to know if it's possible to File A Restraining Order against my new roommate? This woman that I hardly know and just briefly met a couple of days ago as she just paid rent for room next door to mine, unfortunantly for me as she does not mind her own affairs nor does she keep to herself and she does not work ... she claimed to have student loan funds and going to start school next week but is Harrasing me every day when I get home from work and she seems to have a psychotic behavior as today when I was sleeping in my room behind my locked door, I was awakened by her loud voice shouting my name over and over again???? I was so exhausted as I am security officer and need to be up at 4:00 am and on my Post at 7:00 am and she apparenly does not have to be anywhere ? Just a lot of time and apparently money to rent rooms and be all to concerned with me and my commings and goings.

The Police over the phone told me that I could file a Report because I told them that I wish to document these new circumstances as I fear they will continue and just ger worse!

I would like to know if you know or anyone out there and you especially mighty moose if I might be able to file a Restraining Order against her?

I know she is renting the room next to mine and that's why I am so alarmed and her behavior is eractic and bizarre.

Thanx
JA

You could seek to obtain a restraining order.
But, if she's mentally unstable, what makes you think she'd heed the order, or even understand it?
Restraining orders can do little to stop people from harassing you, annoying you, or even killing you.
People often feel safe initially, only to discover later, the restraining is often NOT worth the paper on which its printed.

You might have better luck bringing her annoying, loud, rude, obnoxious, and worrisome behavior to the attention of your landlord?

Your luck might get even better if you move!

The woman is obviously missing a card or two (maybe even a whole suit) in her deck.

Yes indeed! You are right and I agree regarding restraining orders but what I had in mind is to have these circumstances DOCUMENTED by some Authorities such as this forum for one and the police and or a police report in an attempt to document the events as they unfold as I am indeed very aware of this sort of behavior and how it will only get worse until I move. I want to protect myself and have evidence and plan to purchase a tape recorder to prove that she is stalking me at home where unfortunauntly we both reside.
It help getting feedback and advise from others because when she screams at me as I'm entering or exiting my home it is a very scary and un-nerving feeling and I am just seeking valadation as to help calm my nerves.
Thanx
JA

About all you can do is fill out the affidavit, pay for the filing fee, and present it to a judge to see if something will happen. It will be a civil harassment order and will not likely compel the person to move out.

But, absent some reasonable threat of harm, the matter of an annoying roommate is an issue to take up with the landlord and not the courts.

You will have great difficulty getting a restraining order since you live in the same residence... and your reasons for obtaining one aren't quite at the level that an order would typically be issued.

Take it up with your landlord or move out. If your landlord understands the severity of the issue then the landlord might get rid of the roommate for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back