Joint Custody question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gina1960

my son pays child support but he has the child well over 50% of the time. The baby's mom is afraid to stop child support because her mother told her they would stop her food stamps, daycare assistance and any other financial aid she gets ( she is a full time college student) if she agrees to joint custody. Is that true?

my son pays child support but he has the child well over 50% of the time. The baby's mom is afraid to stop child support because her mother told her they would stop her food stamps, daycare assistance and any other financial aid she gets ( she is a full time college student) if she agrees to joint custody. Is that true?

The mother can't stop child support.
The mother can't amend the support order.

The mother can go to court and request the support order be modified.
The father can do the same.
Ultimately, if any modification is granted, it is up to the court.

In the interim, your son should continue to pay what the court has ordered him to pay.
If he doesn't, he will have legal problems.

In fact, both parties should do exactly what the court order mandated.
They should not arbitrarily change anything the court has ordered.
That creates problems for all concerned.

If either party wants a change, they must go back to court and request the change.
Changes are not easily obtained, and when one is requested there have to be very good reasons to substantiate the change.

Here is the saddest part for both people and the child.
They are going to have to adhere to court orders for almost two decades.
If they want to make changes, they'll have to play the "your honor may we" game.
This is, but one, of the sad results of having out of wedlock children, or getting divorces.
I make no value judgment about this mind you, other than to say, this is what their lives will be until the child becomes an adult!

Last edited:

She can agree to joint custody, but your son will still pay child support if she's on state assistance. Choosing to close the CSEA case will absolutely result in loss of daycare assistance and other benefits.

It shouldn't affect any federal financial aid she's receiving.

BTW, in most states, joint physical custody rarely results in no child support payments unless the parents' incomes are very similar. In Ohio, I don't believe it's a factor at all.

ETA: As stated above, any change in custody must be handled through the court.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back