BB&T... An ongoing computer system error or just the worst bank Iv ever used!

Status
Not open for further replies.

grle4lif

My husband and I switched our checking account over to BB&T in December 2009 and have been banking with (or at least trying to bank with) them since then!
The original reason for the switch was that after many years with our previous bank we just wernt satisfied with them anymore along with the fact that they had recently started charging us a monthly matinance fee that we did not originally have to pay when we had opened the account with this bank several years prior.
We chose BB&T after a close friend had recommened them as being a great bank, but soon found out for ourselves that BB&T is no "great bank"!
In the six months that we have been with this Bank we have had more then 3 seperate occassions that our account has been overdrawl and fees upon fees were charged to us, everytime because of some kind of bank error!
The first time it happened, we decided that because of the way the problem was handled, (in a prompt and sensitive manner) and then immidiatly corrected that day, that we would overlook what we considered to be simple computer error!
So everything was fixed and going fine, free and clear, for a little while anyway... One friday, (which is pay day of course) on his way home from work, my husband cashed his check at his employers bank and then went approx. 100 feet away to BB&T to deposit the CASH into our account there. This particular friday though something caused my husband to get a balance on the account from the teller after he had deposited the cash. When he was handed the balance ticket it read the the account was about $250 less then what he had just deposited! The account had apparently gone negative AGAIN!
The following monday my husband went into our local branch to discuss the account again and they simply told him that there was nothing they could do this time that it was our fault because we had scheduled payments come out of the account without the sufficient amount of funds in the account...This was all a load of BS! The CASH had been deposited to the account prior to the scheduled payments being withdrawl! Regardless of the scheduled payments...as soon as the CASH was deposited into the account it should of been made availiable to us for use, but instead it would take up to four days to post to the account!
In the couple days following this second "mistake" I throughly went over again and again my records of the account that I keep as well as the statments mailed by bank and one printed up by the bank monday and given to my husband and could not figure out how this could possibly be our fault!
I did not find one thing at that point that clearly proved the overdraft fees were not a mistake. I decided that I would go to another branch of the bank hoping that because this one was larger that maybe I would be able to get somebody a little better informed about the policies of the bank along with some answers and hopefully a resolution to my bad experiences so far with BB&T! In all my efforts I still found myself just about no better off! The employees at this branch had conflicting ideas as far as the policies (no two people that I had spoke with so far had said even remotly the same thing) as well and one employee actually went as far as telling me that CASH is never immediate! That if my husband deposites CASH friday he should keep some out for the weekend because it wont clear until tuesday!!!!! I have never ever heard of a bank where when you deposit CASH it is not immediate! So neway i was told that they would have to email a head supervisor or something over at the coorporate office...which is in NC...and then they would be in contact with me directly to discuss the status of the account and that I would no longer be able to discuss this with a branch employee because they would not be informed of any outcome or progress on the account/case! To make it even better now after I am told all this I am Finally told that this hole process could take up to 2 weeks or 10 buisness days for me to hear anything about or recieve a verdict!
OK so Im out hundreds of dollars by now, and I can no longer use my checking account for at least a 2 week time period in which I will not be able to make any bill payments from the account either, plus I have had the thrilling pleasure of having to waste valuable time trying to figure out why the bank is taking my money!
2 weeks go by and we have heard nothing from the bank! We decide to go back to our local Branch and find out what exactly is going on...if anything at all! The woman we have now delt with at our local branch over and over again sits down with us again...this time we make a little bit of progress, FINALLY! She said that the lady I spoke with from the other branch is the one who emailed the supervisor and the way she had explained it was that I took resposability for the overdrafts or some BS like that and that coorprate was not willing to refund any of my money....I have no idea! Well this branch manager decided to email coorporate again with copys of my regestry and explaining about the other branch and the previouus email from the woman who apparently was in a different conversation all together from the one I was having when I spoke with her, but regardless after another week or so of not having an available checking account, and now aquiring more fees from the companys I am unable to pay at the time because of this horrible ordeal, we finally get informed that we will be getting a refund credited to the accouunt but for only a fraction of what should of been in the account!
I am so sick of dealing with this situation at this point that I say forget about it, lets cut our loses and move on! So we do and we have been using the checking account again now for about a month with no issues until this am when my husband tryed to use his card at the gas station and it was declined when there should of been more then enough money in the account to cover his charges! As soon as I am informed of this I check the account online and now once again we are getting hit with overdraft fees and our account was never overdrawn!

We are not rich people that have all this money and time in the world to play games with a bank over where our money is and about who is in the right and who is in the wrong while we have no usable bank account! We are closing the account asap regardless but I feel that after only 6 months of buisness and this many issues as well as inconviences and lost money that we deserve some kind of compensation from the bank! Is this fair or even legal to ask of the bank or am I fighting a losing battle? At this point we are alredy out approx. $700! Thats alot of money to just throw away for someone elses mistakes and screw ups! I would like to know if i have any options at all in this disaster or if anybody has a word of advice...

Wow! I did not realize how long this post was until after I had posted it, so thank you if you took the time to read it and respond! I am very greatful for any kind of advice/help i can get!

Last edited:
Regardless of the scheduled payments...as soon as the CASH was deposited into the account it should of been made availiable to us for use, but instead it would take up to four days to post to the account!
Excluding Saturday & Sunday, funds may be held for one business day. Thus, it would be legal to not have a cash deposit made on Friday available till Tuesday. This is per FDIC guidelines.

Though you may not agree with the "holds" on your deposits, you have agreed to them when you opened your account with the bank. I seriously doubt your bank is at fault as they are regulated by the FDIC.

Banks will forgive at first, yet continued overdraft fees are their bread & butter. They aren't your friend!!

You would be better advised to ask for overdraft protection by attaching a savings account or credit card to your checking account.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back