Consumer Law, Warranties Can we sue a labor union for Breach of Contract?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tootoolz

My husband was recruited from a non-union shop by a labor union who promised him a number of things, one being that if he worked for the union for 5 years he'd be fully vested in the retirement program.
He joined the summer of 2007 & things went well for the next 14 months, during which time we purchased an RV for him to stay in as most of the jobs were out of town, a 1-ton truck to pull it with, and a heavy-duty service truck for him to work with (we paid for the service truck out of our savings.) We accumulated around 65k in debt related to this union job, which we had no trouble paying for when he was working.
He was laid off June 2008 and hasn't worked since! His union blames the mis-conduct of former Board Trustee members for the lack of work, missing pension funds, etc. and the International office took over the local office 18 months, or so, ago.
My husband continues to keep his dues current, and Union rules forbid him from working outside the union.
I'd like to sue this union for Breach of Contract for the debt we've incurred on its behalf and lost wages, then they can kiss my grits. Is that possible?

It is possible to sue the union.
You, however, have no basis for bringing this lawsuit.
The purported misconduct is not the proximate cause of his layoff.
Besides, the misconduct is just that, purported.
Even if you could prove it, you'd still have no case.
If that were true, thousands of people could have sued Chrysler or GM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back