Employer Not Wanting to Pay Workers Compensation

Status
Not open for further replies.

dazedone

I have been working for a guy doing janitorial work at a commercial building. He has the building's manager paying me for my work and issuing him the difference for himself.

He calls me HIS employee but pays no w/c or social security for me. I am concerned in the event I get hurt at work. I will be on my own for medical bills and I do not have any type of health insurance.

Isn't he bound to pay w/c on me or his other employees?

I have been working for a guy doing janitorial work at a commercial building. He has the building's manager paying me for my work and issuing him the difference for himself.

He calls me HIS employee but pays no w/c or social security for me. I am concerned in the event I get hurt at work. I will be on my own for medical bills and I do not have any type of health insurance.

Isn't he bound to pay w/c on me or his other employees?

He isn't just bound to pay social insecurity for you, but federal taxes, unemployment insurance, workers comp insurance, and medicare insurance.

But, it isn't because he's bound to do it, the law mandates him to do it.

He's paying you under the table, no doubt.

If you wish, you can report him to social insecurity.

For the workers comp issue, in Alaska, The Division of Workers' Compensation is the agency charged with the administration of the Alaska Workers' Compensation Act (Act).

http://www.labor.alaska.gov/wc/

You should contact him about your employer's failure to follow the law.

However, when and if you report him/her, I suspect you might lose your job.

That is no excuse for him to do what he has been doing, and no excuse for you not to report him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back