Shoplifting, Larceny, Robbery, Theft Please help Larceny charges in NC (MD resident)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marylander

What kind of penalty am I facing.. the Larceny was a 40$ pair of earrings. The store said they wouldnt press charges, but I didnt have ID on me so they said they had to call the cops, then the store rep told them that they didnt wanna press charges, but the cops arrested me because they said I'd never learn if I didnt get a record. Any help?

I am 20. I was visiting friends from where I used to go to school. They didnt really verify my information... they had me on camera.. but they had a secret shopper person follow me around they store they said I was suspicious. I confessed. I know I did it, and I cooperated every step of the way.

I also signed a wavier of charges from the store as long as I agreed to obey the no trespassing form. I signed with a witness rep from the store saying they wouldnt press charges. But then they said since I didnt have my ID on me that they had to call the cops. Its my first offense and Im really scared Im gonna have to do jail time for this.

I have another question, I received a letter from the store saying that when i pay an 150.00$ fine they will have no further civil remedy from this event. What does that mean?
I have purchased a plane ticket to NC with the help of a friend, and am planning to go to court. I am now aware that I have to be appointed a public defender by the court when I go, not before. As I stated before I and the store signed a contract with the store saying they would not press charges. I need advice. Please help me.

What kind of penalty am I facing.. the Larceny was a 40$ pair of earrings. The store said they wouldnt press charges, but I didnt have ID on me so they said they had to call the cops, then the store rep told them that they didnt wanna press charges, but the cops arrested me because they said I'd never learn if I didnt get a record. Any help?

I am 20. I was visiting friends from where I used to go to school. They didnt really verify my information... they had me on camera.. but they had a secret shopper person follow me around they store they said I was suspicious. I confessed. I know I did it, and I cooperated every step of the way.

I also signed a wavier of charges from the store as long as I agreed to obey the no trespassing form. I signed with a witness rep from the store saying they wouldnt press charges. But then they said since I didnt have my ID on me that they had to call the cops. Its my first offense and Im really scared Im gonna have to do jail time for this.

I have another question, I received a letter from the store saying that when i pay an 150.00$ fine they will have no further civil remedy from this event. What does that mean?
I have purchased a plane ticket to NC with the help of a friend, and am planning to go to court. I am now aware that I have to be appointed a public defender by the court when I go, not before. As I stated before I and the store signed a contract with the store saying they would not press charges. I need advice. Please help me.

First of all, ignore that letter demanding MORE money from you.
If at some point after the criminal proceedings are concluded, and you want to assuage your guilt; pay them their tribute.

Okay, nothing dire will happen to you as aresult of this momentary act of stupidity.
You'll get a court appointed lawyer after you plead, not guilty.
The lawyer will work out a diversionary sentencing program for people without criminal records.
You'll pay a small fine and court costs.
They'll let you make payment arrangements.
You'll be ordered to do community service (maybe).
You might be on supervised probation, maybe just probation until 12-18-24 months has elapsed.
You won't go to prison or jail.
After everything is over, you probably won't even have a permanent record of this incident.

One last thing, when you appear in court, dress very neatly.
I recommend people wear business or dressy church attire.
Your hair and person should be very well groomed.
Be very polite, and answer everyone with "Yes sir or Yes ma'am" as appropriate.
The one exception is the judge.
Address him/her as "Your honor"!

This too shall pass my child.
Now, get ready to wow the court and sin no more!

Army you directly refer to an act of "stupidity" (I agree) and nothing (sunshine and frickin fairies).

Anyway, my biggest concern Miss poster is that this is neither your first, or likely your last shop lifting attempt. You are not going to jail, but you will eventually if you don't stop. My best legal advice to you is to stop, and if you find that you can't, get help. This is a compulsive behavior and while I agree with Army (IT IS STUPID), I'm sure you do too in your reasonable brain. If you don't get help, you will continue to do this and literally ruin your life.

This time, you are going to get nothing more than a slap on the wrist. If it continues, you will get more and more severe penalties until you do end up in jail. As for what I recommend? Take a plea deal that includes a first offender act that will expunge your record when you are done with the Probation.

Get some counselling before you end up in jail. Really. You are too smart to live life like this. Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
Its called civil Demand and if you faill to pay it the fine willlikely triple. If they so choose and you still fail to pay they can sue you in court (and win) and send credit reporting agencies negative reports on you. by the way if it goes to suit your $150.00 can become thousands! Not only that if you fail to pay they can also file the criminal charges they didnt file at time. Its your call.

Its called civil Demand and if you faill to pay it the fine willlikely triple. If they so choose and you still fail to pay they can sue you in court (and win) and send credit reporting agencies negative reports on you. by the way if it goes to suit your $150.00 can become thousands! Not only that if you fail to pay they can also file the criminal charges they didnt file at time. Its your call.

She is being prosecuted for this offense.
Criminal charges have been preferred by the police.
The store declined, nevertheless, the police arrested for this offense.
Once the instant matter has been adjudicated, it can never be brought again.

Army, I am rarely on Jacksgal's side but I think she is right on this. While the criminal side of it can't be brought again, the civil side certainly can.

jharris352 said:
Army, I am rarely on Jacksgal's side but I think she is right on this. While the criminal side of it can't be brought again, the civil side certainly can.

I only advised the OP to defer the scam letter until the criminal matter had been dealt with.

Besides, that letter is meaningless until and unless you sign it.

It's probably meaningless as it's a contract without consideration.

It might be an illegal contract because you can't sell, barter, or trade away a legal right.

Those letters border on extortion.

If they are issued by an attorney they are actually unethical.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back