Setting rules

Status
Not open for further replies.

liftrucks

Good Morning,
There will be a couple a questions in this.
We gave up our parental rights to our 15 yr old daughter in march.
My mother and father are going to petition for her custody but will not seek adoption. They live in Delaware.
The question I have is if and when permenent custody is granted
will my parents have the say so as to who my daughter sees.
My parents and My family are very close.
They dont want to get into a situation that they can not visit us or us them
because of the termination of our rights with our daughter.
So does my parents make the rules as to who my daughter sees or will it still
be controlled by DSS in either del or va.
My daughter and us get along now but just not in the same home.
Thanks
For the help

Why would you terminate your rights to your child? Did social services terminate your rights? At any rate you are now a legal stranger and have no say in anything, your parents are her guardians if they have custody. It is a little odd though than an adoption was not done. Your parents can control if you even see her.

They will control it if they adopt her. If they merely take guardianship of her, DCFS is still involved and may make rules regarding her contact with you. Why were your rights terminated?

Thanks for responding so quickly.
Without alot of detail my daughter has a terrible time with authority and rules.
In Jan. she acused me of abusing her which was unfounded but the damage
was done. It seems though after 4 months away from home she is starting to realize what she has done, yet she needs alot more help.
For fear out of her doing this again we decided at our atty and others advice to terminate.
I understand that we have no say so, yet my parents and her seem to have a good relationship, yet my parents are not willing to give up seeing us to take custody of her. That is the sticking point. I feel in time that she will come around much more but that is only if she stays in contact with the family which she wants and we want, also DSS has encourged this somewhat.
So basically the bottom line is can DSS set rules for who she sees even if my parents get perminant custody or will my parents have to adopt for my parents to set the rules.
Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back