Bank reopens a closed account for an electronic fund transfer and charges me fees.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dpselckdwh

Hello,

I hope everyone is doing well. I have been dealing with Fifth Third bank in the Cincinnati area for three years. I have had multiple problems with the bank and its branch's employees, so I decided to close the account and bank with a different one.

To simplify the matter, I closed the last checking account I had with them on the 1st of May(Saturday). I know it's my fault I didn't read all the fine prints, but previously I closed a different account I had and I had a direct deposit coming in, and they didn't let it go through and kept the account closed.
But this time, I had a car insurance payment coming out and I changed the bank info on the web for the payment to be made with the new account but apparently it takes five days to update and took the money out of my closed account.

So Fifth Third reopened the account and now they are charging me overdraft fees even though they rejected the payment.
What I don't understand is that they can reopen the account, not pay anything but still charge me for the overdraft fees, but cannot open the account to let the deposit go through?

I didn't have a good relationship with the home branch employees(the reason why I switched the bank) so they won't waive anything.

I saw one other answer and it was suggested to look up the registered agent in the state for the company and send them a letter saying I will take them to the small claims court, would that still work in this case? I'm going abroad soon to work for about three months. It's really stressing me out dealing with these people.. They are always after the money and trying to make even a penny more. I switched so that I wouldn't have to stress out over these people anymore but even when I'm leaving them it's a big stress.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.

P.s) You don't have to read this, but just to give you a general idea of why I don't have a good relationship:
1) A teller of the branch once said, "You should know better than this- you need to come in earlier." When I went in twenty minutes before they closed and have been standing in the line because they were slow;

2) The manager of the branch doesn't know how to do anything.. I had a problem with the credit card(bank error) and she didn't know how to fix it for months but told me she is fixing, later I asked other teller just in case and she fixed it right away.....I stressed out for months because of lack of her knowledge about the procedures;

3) They made a typo and took money out of my account without my permission. All I wanted to hear was, "I'm sorry" but no one seemed like it.. They even said that it's not a big deal because it's not a great amount of money. This time I was rude to them as well and said that it didn't matter how much it was, it's about them screwing things up and not doing things right. So it was my part too on this day;

4) When I went into the bank to close the account, the branch manager was on the phone. So I sat there and waited for her, she came out and didn't even say hi or anything and said, "You ready?" I said yes and went into her office. She asked for my ID and I gave her my military ID which has all the same info as the driver's license. (*She knows by heart who I am-where I work, What my name is, How old I am, etc) She told me she couldn't take that military ID and demanded a driver's license. (*at that branch, when you walk in you see a sign saying that you can use any government issued photo ID, driver's license, and passport)

I mentioned the sign I saw, she was saying, "Where????" and I kept pointing at it but she didn't get up and check. So we argued about that(not everybody drives) then she said that she could look up the policy and also said that she could advise me to go to a different branch. So I said, "Ok, can you go ahead and look it up? If you're right, I will leave and go to different branch."(exact words) Then she gave me my ID and the statement paper back and said I could leave. So she basically kicked me out of the bank because I asked her to check the policy??? She knew she could probably that's why didn't want to do it. I came out and called the customer service and the representative looked it up and told me that it was a valid ID, and I went into the different branch right away and used the same military ID and the manager there just asked for my birth date and mother's maiden name for verification;

5) I used to have a different joint checking - so the first account I had was just mine and the secondary was joint. The teller told the other holder(for the joint) some info on my own account that had nothing to do with him. It was about a transaction that wasn't related to the joint account at all.

I have filed complaints with the customer service multiple times- but the regional/district manager never followed up with me. Doesn't seem to care that much. But these are the reasons why I don't have any good feelings towards any of them.

Thanks for reading.

Last edited:
I assume by your post that you haven't spoken with a bank manager yet to request a waiver of the overdraft charge?

The reopening of the account and subsequent overdraft fee was probably automatic by their processsing computer software.

Certainly a "real live" person should be able to rectify this for you. Give them another chance.

Technically though, this is no different than closing your checking account and forgetting that you have an outstanding check that finally goes through. It is incumbent upon you to insure that there are no further claims against a closed account.

Well..

The manager I closed my account with(not my home branch) called me and told me that I have to pay the fees and only the people from my home branch can waive the fees and they won't do it.

Re: Bank reopens a closed account for an electronic fund transfer

dpselckdwh said:
The manager I closed my account with(not my home branch) called me and told me that I have to pay the fees and only the people from my home branch can waive the fees and they won't do it.

Pay their ripoff fees or get ready for them to ruin your credit and your ability to open other checking accounts at other banks.

It'll cost you at least a $100 to file a small claims case and lots of your precious time.

You're mad at them.

They deserve your wrath.

You can't always win, even when you're right.

Pay them their tribute and be done with them.

Otherwise get ready for them to cause you a multitude of problems.

This is one of those times a legal solution can be more costly than just letting them rob you!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back