Statute of Limitations on unverified debt

Status
Not open for further replies.

dohn2025

Back in August of 2004, my lease ended and I left under the assumption that I was going to get my security deposit back. About a week later I went to the office of the housing complex asking for it but they told me that I wasn't going to be getting any of it back because of supposed damages (I didn't do anything). However, on the day that i turned in my keys, they did not do a walk through of the place or even mention it, and being ignorant of the situation, I thought that our "business" was concluded. Being a poor hapless college student, I didn't have a resources to hire a lawyer so I considered my $600 security deposit lost and I moved on.

More than a year later (14+ months) my parents (they cosigned lease) received a letter from a debt collection agency stating that we owed them money (supposed debt to housing complex), and in addition, the collection agency tacked on additional "fees". This was the first time I ever heard about it. Luckily, my parents had a friend who was a lawyer and he sent them a letter from his firm contesting the debt. We haven't received any more notices but we still get calls from various debt collectors now and then.

Unless I'm mistaken, the statute of limitations for debts in NY is 6 years from date of default. My question is, When exact is the date of default in this case? Is it the last time I payed rent or is it when the sent the letter?

You don't owe anything. Continue to dispute the debt from anyone that writes or calls.

In this case the date would be when you moved out.
Had you been more proactive about it you could have gotten your deposit back but it is way too late for that.
It is too late for anyone to get a judgment against you for any damages also... so you can ignore the debt collectors, or dispute their records.
If you enter into any agreements with them or make any partial payments then you open the door for big problems and the clock will reset on any limitations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back