Can I sue my parents?

Status
Not open for further replies.

13babul13

Hi,

I have worked in my parents family bussiness for about 10 years. I was 13 years old when I was forced to help out. Now I am 22 years old. During those years I was promise that when I left home, I would get a monetary compensation for working all that time. I never had a salary, I never had any benefits, I don't even own a car, I have worked for nothing. But now that I am about to leave, they want to get a divorce and split the money invested in properties, leaving me homeless, without a car, without anything. Sadly, I still continue to work there, with the hope that my efforts are worth something.

Can I sue them before they get the divorce? I have witnesses that have seen me working at the bussiness since I was 13 years old and to the present. I have a police report indicating that I was victim of an arm robbery at the age of 14 or 15.

* I know they helped me all those years, but it isn't fair what they are doing.

Thank You! I really appreciate your help!

Hi,

I have worked in my parents family bussiness for about 10 years. I was 13 years old when I was forced to help out. Now I am 22 years old. During those years I was promise that when I left home, I would get a monetary compensation for working all that time. I never had a salary, I never had any benefits, I don't even own a car, I have worked for nothing. But now that I am about to leave, they want to get a divorce and split the money invested in properties, leaving me homeless, without a car, without anything. Sadly, I still continue to work there, with the hope that my efforts are worth something.

Can I sue them before they get the divorce? I have witnesses that have seen me working at the bussiness since I was 13 years old and to the present. I have a police report indicating that I was victim of an arm robbery at the age of 14 or 15.

* I know they helped me all those years, but it isn't fair what they are doing.

Thank You! I really appreciate your help!

What a wonderful son or daughter you must have been.
Those evil, bad, lying parents.
They deceived you.
They forced you, as their child, to work in their business.
How horrible, how very horrible.
Feel better, little one?
Good, because now I'm going to give you some legal advice.
We've dispensed with the psychological babble.

Yes, you can sue your parents.
Guess what, grasshopper, you can even sue the president.
Heck, they made a movie called, "The Man Who Sued God".

Billy Connolly plays Steve Myers, a lawyer who became a fisherman from the frustration of being a lawyer. Directed by Mark Joffe, Australia's The Man Who Sued God centers around Steve (Billy Connelly), an ex-lawyer who is unable to collect insurance money for his destroyed boat. Deeming the accident an "act of God," Steve decides to sue the man at the root of his problem -- namely, God. Anna (Judy Davis), a jaded journalist who took a particular interest in Steve's case, decides to help him out on his quest to collect from the almighty. The movie raises a host of philosophical issues, some of which include who should represent God in court, who pays up should God be convicted, and the status of Steve's eternal soul.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOvI9jdNV3I&feature=related

It was real hoot.
But, I digress.
You can sue anyone you want.

But, the question you should be asking is, can I recover?
No, you won't get a dime.
Why, you ask?
Because they have no legal duty that was breached.
They caused you no harm or detriment.
They owe you nothing.
So, you will recover nothing!

Last edited:
You are obviously working for them AND LIVING IN THEIR HOME. So how can you say you aren't getting anything? You have gotten room and board for all those years. If you don't like the pay, quit! Go get another job. Be free! Make your own way in life.

(This OP posted on another board, was told the exact same things and didn't like the answers.....)

Imagine that. Try again son. Have you noticed you are 22? Go! Be free, earn your own money. Sign a lease.

With a parent / child relationship as such, I guess the thought of an inheritance is out of the question... :rolleyes:

Thank You all! I am not really the bad guy in the story, the problem is that my mother is getting a divorce and my step father wants to keep as many of the properties they have together, when in fact my mother worked as hard as him. I just wanted to know if I could sue them, to obtain something for my mother. I know I didn't post that info here, but then again, I am the bad guy.

Ah, but when went to an attorney, she said it might not be a good idea, although it was possible, but could affect severally affect my mother. So, I guess my mother has to split all, and perhaps even the property she had before she got married. And perhaps she might need to provide monetary support to him, since she is legally the owner of the business. So, she more than likely get less of the pie than him. He came to our home with $200 dollares, and now he is leaving with almost half a million.

Life Sucks, lol!
Thank You Guys!

Thank You all! I am not really the bad guy in the story, the problem is that my mother is getting a divorce and my step father wants to keep as many of the properties they have together, when in fact my mother worked as hard as him. I just wanted to know if I could sue them, to obtain something for my mother. I know I didn't post that info here, but then again, I am the bad guy.

Ah, but when went to an attorney, she said it might not be a good idea, although it was possible, but could affect severally affect my mother. So, I guess my mother has to split all, and perhaps even the property she had before she got married. And perhaps she might need to provide monetary support to him, since she is legally the owner of the business. So, she more than likely get less of the pie than him. He came to our home with $200 dollares, and now he is leaving with almost half a million.

Life Sucks, lol!
Thank You Guys!

See, that is why we always need the whole story.

Had you indicated that you wanted to stand in the breech to protect your mother, our answers would have been "more creative".

Standing in the "breech" to protect mom is admirable.

You can sue the "thief" that is trying to filch away your dear mother's assets.

Your mother and you should think about all those times that you loaned her money to put into the business.

How about the times the "thief" borrowed money from you?

There are many creative and legal ways to thwart the evil efforts of thieves!!!

Am I the only one who gets suspicious when the facts change after the answer is not what the poster wanted?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back