discrimination in word usage

Status
Not open for further replies.

paddy1

I have recently been told I must leave my job in a charitable company I am working for because I told my boss he has not the right to allow the black employees here to constantly use the word "nigger" and not face any penalties for saying this word, yet if I say this word it is a form of racism. Am I right to believe this to be a form of discrimination, dening me my 1st Amendment Constitutional rights.

I have recently been told I must leave my job in a charitable company I am working for because I told my boss he has not the right to allow the black employees here to constantly use the word "nigger" and not face any penalties for saying this word, yet if I say this word it is a form of racism. Am I right to believe this to be a form of discrimination, dening me my 1st Amendment Constitutional rights.

Life isn't fair.

What you describe isn't illegal.

What you believe to be discrimination is the result of running your mouth inappropriately.

It isn't discrimination at all.

It is employment at will, your employer's will.

You have no case, and might have trouble even collecting unemployment.

The "Free Speech" amendment prohibits the government from restricting speech, not the employer. And honestly, there IS a difference (be it right or wrong) between African-Americans using the "N" word and whites doing so.

The "Free Speech" amendment prohibits the government from restricting speech, not the employer. And honestly, there IS a difference (be it right or wrong) between African-Americans using the "N" word and whites doing so.

I would say there is no difference at all. The word is either offensive and inappropriate or it is not.

If this person works for a large organization that has a good HR department then there might be a way to salvage something here. If it is a small company then there is likely no chance.

The word itself is a word. It is the context in which it is used. Personally, I would prefer never hearing it again, said by anybody.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back