SSN Mistake on Workers Compensation 2-part dilemma

Status
Not open for further replies.

moxtwelve

I worked for a major company for two years, and then was fired. My mom signed me up for unemployment compensation, but accidentally used the wrong social security number--it was the social security number of my deceased brother. She mistook his SSN for my SSN, and filed out legal papers and everything. She couldn't figure out why they weren't taking my number. She gave me the number to log-in Online with after she'd filed a few claims for me. Now I've been receiving workers compensation, but under the wrong SSN.

The second part of my dilemma is that soon after being fired, I got married and moved to California. The unemployment benefits I am receiving are for Washington, D.C. where I previously worked. Soon, I then tried getting a job here in California. I got hired at a company, but they only employed me for thirty days. During that time I received no benefits from D.C. After the 30 days when the California company decided they weren't going to hire me permanently, I didn't know what to do. I then reinstated the D.C. unemployment benefits after the 30 days because I still didn't have a job. Is that illegal? What should I do? Should I immediately inform D.C. about my SSN? I am innocent and scared I'm doing something wrong. I want to right my wrongs. Is it still legal for me to be receiving workers compensation?

moxtwelve said:
I worked for a major company for two years, and then was fired. My mom signed me up for unemployment compensation, but accidentally used the wrong social security number--it was the social security number of my deceased brother. She mistook his SSN for my SSN, and filed out legal papers and everything. She couldn't figure out why they weren't taking my number. She gave me the number to log-in Online with after she'd filed a few claims for me. Now I've been receiving workers compensation, but under the wrong SSN.

The second part of my dilemma is that soon after being fired, I got married and moved to California. The unemployment benefits I am receiving are for Washington, D.C. where I previously worked. Soon, I then tried getting a job here in California. I got hired at a company, but they only employed me for thirty days. During that time I received no benefits from D.C. After the 30 days when the California company decided they weren't going to hire me permanently, I didn't know what to do. I then reinstated the D.C. unemployment benefits after the 30 days because I still didn't have a job. Is that illegal? What should I do? Should I immediately inform D.C. about my SSN? I am innocent and scared I'm doing something wrong. I want to right my wrongs. Is it still legal for me to be receiving workers compensation?

You have a very serious problem.

You are wise to want to fix this.

I'm not sure what will happen or who might get hurt.

I'm reluctant to tell you any more, because you are going to require a lawyer.

From what you say, there have been potential criminal laws broken.

These are felonies.

They could involve your mother, too.

She will need her own lawyer, too, eventually.

You could go to any California unemployment office and tell everything.

She could do the same in DC.

But, you'd both be better served to speak with a criminal defense attorney before doing anything of the sort.

The problem with that is, the authorities may come for you first.

Speak with an attorney today!!!

Tell your mother to do the same thing.

Yes, it may be expensive, but bad things are coming.

Crimes have been committed.

The federal government won't take kindly to what has been done.

You can ride it out, but it will be discovered one day.

Whatever happens won't be pretty.

But, you shouldn't say anymore about this to anyone but YOUR lawyer.

Tell your mom the same thing.

The bad things might not happen for a few months, but they will happen.

You need a lawyer of your own, and so does mom!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back