Removal of name from vehicle title

Status
Not open for further replies.

mytsharp1

I am recently divorced and my settlement agreement was made part of the divorce decree and is now a court order. Among other things, the SA specifically states, my ex was supposed to remove my name from the title of his truck. At the time, we had to await proof from the bank that the lien had been satisfied. I recieved that letter in the mail after the issue had been brought up in court. However, since the receipt of the letter, my ex has disappeared and abondoned his truck in the parking lot of where he used to live. He went to forclosure on his house and has now completely disappeared w/out a trace. The truck has now been impounded and I'm being told I am responsible for the $2,000 bill. They will auction the truck but I will be responsible for the remaining balance. I cannot locate my ex at all. I don't believe he has a job as he hasn't worked in over 6 yrs. I can't take him to court because I have to have him served and I don't know where he is. Is there anything I can do to get DMV to remove my name? I tried before but they told me we both have to sign. Can I file something w/the court requesting them to order DMV to remove my name w/out his consent?

Your name was on the truck's title.
You are legally responsible.
You only have to make an attempt to serve him.
If after a diligent effort to locate him has been effected, the court will hear the case.
You will get a default judgment.
The court will remove his name from the title, as he was supposed to have done.
This will take time, so inform DMV of what you're doing.
Or, have your lawyer inform them.
Either way, hire a lawyer.
You can do this yourself, but it involves a bit of meticulous work.
Good luck!!!

You need an attorney. It shouldn't cost more than about $500 to get this done. It might not even cost that much. Your divorce was in a court of equity. The attorney can petition the court to order the DMV to remove your name from the title. That will solve your problem.

Traffic court vs. other...

Along w/the truck being impounded it received 2 tickets for expired State Inspection. I went to court and showed the judge my SA which states "Husband agrees to transfer the title into his name alone and to become totally and solely responsible for any liability associated thereto, including, but not limited to, any payments owed on said automobile, its maintenance and upkeep, personal property taxes and insurance, and shall indemnify and hold Wife harmless from any and all liability arising from the same." The judge found me not guilty for the tickets after he looked something up in one of his books and he told the officer I was right, I was not liable for that truck. I have 2 questions: 1) What book would the judge have looked in after reading my SA?, and 2) Since I have been found not liable for the tickets am I not liable for the impound charges that were associated with the towing of the truck? The towing company has sent my bill to a collection agency which is threatening to file against my credit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back