I just recieved a ticket for an accident in the mail

Status
Not open for further replies.

wjamesjr

I just recieved a ticket in the mail stating I had an accident on March 15th in Leawood, KS. First I live on the other side of Missouri, I have a suspended liscense and have a blue ford ranger that isnt running, there are several issues and I wouldnt drive it on thee street. i have been waiting until spring to get it fixed. With that being said, I recieved this ticket stating I was driving a black ford ranger and had an accident. I recieved this ticket for no insurance and driving while having a suspended liscense. March 15th is my daughters birthday and i was celebrating it with her, my ex wife and her boyfriends family. I was not in the Kansas City during that time. How do I prove I was not there? Wouldnt the cop have done all of this at the sceen of the accident? Now I am being required to appear in a city I have now idea how to get to to defend myself in a case I wasnt near. Somehow my liscense plate number and old suspended dl are on the ticket. I am totally confused. I am going to have to pay my ex wife to drive me there, how embarrassing is that. What do I do? I am unemployed, disabled and totally confused.

Don't be embarrassed or confused. Call the Clerk and tell them that you have been misidentified and need to talk to the prosecutor. Get the number from the clerk. Call the prosecutor and tell them you are the victim of identity theft. Ask them what to do.

Ok, I will. I have to wait until tomorrow as I have to wait on a ride to town. Thank you. I will let you know what the outcome is.

Hello
You're exactly right jharris..that's a right suggestion..
By the way what is the outcome..
Cheers..

Response

I called the court house. They gave me an extenesion. I repoted my missing plate on the front on my truck. I called the ticketing officer three times and left messages, but he still hasnt responded.

So someone stole your front plate and also managed to get your driver's license?

Sounds odd... but all you will have to do is provide evidence that you were not at that location on that date and don't own the vehicle that was cited. If you were at a party then there are multiple witnesses that can provide statements.

Does the information on the citation describe your physical appearance correctly? If you go to court the officer will have to testify that you are the one that was cited. You will also have opportunity to find out how the officer got the info for the citation.... whether he was presented with a DL or if he dug it up on the computer based on the license plate info.

If you truly weren't there then you shouldn't have a hard time defeating it... but you may likely still have to go to court.

What they have

All the officer was given was my social security number, an insurance company i have never heard of, the wrong color of my truck and my plate number. At this point I have called the cop 5 times and not recieved a call back. I had to leave messages. My problem is, I dont have a working vehicle or a drivers liscense to get to the other side of the state to go to court.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back