Quiet Enjoyment Right To 'Quiet Enjoyment'/Landlord Trespass Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Atropa

My boyfriend and I have lived at this house for 5 months. We areon a 6 month lease which expires on the 1st of May. On March 29th I noticed some people in the yard putting up a 'for sale' sign. Since we have had problems with our landlord in the past, and wanted to move rather than deal with real estate agents, notices of entry & etc, we gave our 30 day written notice on the first of April.
This morning, I was waking up, half naked in my house and there were people walking around the property with the landlord. He gave us no notice to show the property. I was pretty upset, and I asked them to leave. They wouldn't leave, and the landlord said he could show the house from the outside without any notice to us, and if we were half naked/waking up that was our problem. I called the police and spoke to a deputy who asked me a few questions:
1. is there a fence (yes)
2. did you ask them to leave (yes)
He said it was trespass, and he would call the landlord and remind him that there needs to be a 24 hour notice to show the premises, saying - 'viewing from the driveway is one thing, walking around the house near the windows and peeping in is something different'.

The landlord still insists that he can bring people on the property at whatever time to view the house from the outside.

So where is the line? What exactly is the law regarding trespass by a landlord on the property?

If I was the landlord's attorney I would advise him to stay outside the fence unless he was proceeding to a doorway to knock. Else, he is trespassing just like the policeman stated. I would notify him in writing that the next time he is on your property without notice you will call the police and press charges.

If I was the landlord's attorney I would advise him to stay outside the fence unless he was proceeding to a doorway to knock. Else, he is trespassing just like the policeman stated. I would notify him in writing that the next time he is on your property without notice you will call the police and press charges.

Thanks, this is what I thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back