False Police Report Allowed

Status
Not open for further replies.

130munch

My son's ex GF filed a false police report stating he won't stop texting her when actually, it's the other way around. She's been texting him - he keeps texting back "Stop texting - I don't want to talk to you".

My son was working when the officer called so I explained what's been going on. The officer listened, but proceeded as if he believed the GF. Later I thought it's not right that she's allowed to file a false police report, so I called back to discuss further.

I spoke to the same officer who told me not to worry because he didn't believe her anyway - she was dumb enough to show him all the "Stop texting me - I don't want to talk to you", messages. He told me to tell my son not to worry too, because no police or legal action would be taken against him.

But if the officer doesn't believe in the acusation in first place, why allow a police report at all?

Now that one is in place based on a lie I think she should be held accountable. I had forgotten to mention this when I was talking to the officer, but last Thu (2 days before she filed her report) my son filed one because she was excessivly texting him. He has tons of texts from her as proof, along with all his responses of "Stop Texting me!".

Any suggestions on holding her accountable? Can my son get the police report labled "false report" at this point? After all, police reports are public record - aren't they? She should not be able to play games & lie like this - it's slander in a way. BTW - she lives in another town, so her report is in her town, my sons reports are in our town.

You REALLY want to cause more problems? I would walk away from the problem and not toward it. Tell your son to stop answering her at all. She will grow tired of being ignored. Better yet, change his phone number. No one is going to prosecute her. You seem to want extend the teen soap opera instead of ending it.

First suggestion for him is to stop replying at all. If he can, he should probably block her number and have done with it. But, no more replies.

It is up to the police and the state i they want to try and charge her with making a false police report. This probably will not happen, but it is their decision.

No, they are not likely to label the report something akin to "False Report," it will be what it is.

And the police take reports even for bogus stuff because that is generally what we are asked to do - take reports. We collect info, document it as we can, and file it away. Sometimes we can act on it, very often we cannot.

I reiterate the first suggestion - have your son ignore her and not reply. He might also consider obtaining a restraining order if these are permitted in your state for harassment related matters.

Not a teen drama, these are two people in their late 20's. Not trying to extend the drama - trying to hold her accountable - what's wrong with that?

What's wrong with that is they are all acting like teens and if I may say so, he is an adult, you shouldn't even be in it. She shouldn't have done what she did, it is technically a crime, but it isn't worth the justice system's or your time. Teach your son to just move on. If you stir in this it will just make the matter worse. I understand your concern but learning to walk away is a good thing. Many things aren't worth pursuing, in my opinion.

Simple solution- and it isn't meant to be punishment for your son- but take the phone away. Monitor the incoming messages for yourself and DO NOT reply. You will find out for sure who is doing what. If nothing comes in then he is probably the instigator.
Anyway- guilty or not, if my kid couldn't have a phone without out getting into legal problems then he wouldn't get to have a phone.

Simple solution- and it isn't meant to be punishment for your son- but take the phone away. Monitor the incoming messages for yourself and DO NOT reply. You will find out for sure who is doing what. If nothing comes in then he is probably the instigator.
Anyway- guilty or not, if my kid couldn't have a phone without out getting into legal problems then he wouldn't get to have a phone.

Moose, the "child" is 22 years old!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back