Sex Crimes, Sex Offenders Failure to License a Dog

Status
Not open for further replies.

wwfh

Tucson Arizona - Pima County

Q - What action can/should I take? Will I simply pay a fine, or will I have a criminal conviction on my record?

I received a citation from an Animal Control Officer for failure to license my 3 dogs.

The officer visited due to a complaint for not providing adequate shelter. I have a dog-door in my kitchen, and my back yard is completely fenced (no gates); the dogs have complete access to the house and yard throughout the day. The officer said that one of my dogs was seen outside during the rain. I stated that I did not lock him out, and that he can enter/exit as he pleases, but is confined to the property.

She confirmed that all 3 dogs (17 year old male miniature poodle, 6 year old male border collie mix, 7 year old female border collie mix) are in good health, that the premises are clean, that they have adequate shelter/food/water.

She asked if I had licenses and noted she did not see them. I stated I did not have licenses and didn't know they were required, but that the dogs were all current on vaccinations/rabies shots.

She stated that failure to license dogs within city limits is a Class 2 Misdemeanor. She said that I need to have the dogs licensed (I'll need proof of rabies vaccination and spay/neutered confirmed by a vet), and that I'll have to appear at court with the proof of licenses.

Along with the citation is a form that states at the bottom "The time you have been given to correct the deficiencies found in this inspection is a COURTESY. Problems not corrected by the re-check date could result in criminal citations being issued to you. Please have the problems corrected by the designated date."

Will this court appearance require my declaring guilt/innocence/no contest? Will I have a criminal record? Does the second form mean that if I get the licenses and pay the fees, that's the end of it?

I know this is an insignificant matter, but I am actually fairly disturbed by it. A criminal record of any degree could impact my profession. I have never been accused/charged with any crime; I have never even been pulled over for speeding (much less gotten a ticket). When I looked-up "Class 2 Misdemeanor" I got results for DUI, prostitution, drugs, etc., and I'm shocked to think my failing to pay a few bucks for a dog license could carry the same criminal record. The dogs were never in danger, and never posed a threat to others.

I apologize for the length, but figured it best to put as much information up front.

Thanks for your consideration.

You are innocent until proven guilty.

You are not required to plea to anything.

Hire a lawyer and let the state prove it's case.

When the DA sees you have counsel, they'll offer you a better deal.

Yes, you seem to have been given the opportunity to correct any deficiencies.

Fix the problem and ask them if that eliminates criminal jeopardy.

Then open your check book and get rid of this problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back