emancipate pregnant 17-year old

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmcru294

I am a South Carolina resident and a mother of a 17 year old. She has a documented history through the school and home of incorrigible behavior. She has also tested postive for drugs in the past. She has moved out of my home twice. The most recent time she informed me she was pregnant and moving in with her boyfriend to live happily ever after :) My question is at 17 years old and due to the fact she is pregnant does this automatically emancipate
her? I need to protect myself legally and remove my financial responsibility for her and her unborn child?

No, contrary to myth, pregancy does not provide automatic legal emancipation. Medical emancipation yes - your daughter, with the help of her doctor, can make her own decisions about her health care and that of her baby. But pregnancy not only does not provide for legal emancipation, it makes it virtually impossible for her to qualify for legal emancipation.

I don't know what provisions your state has for Children In Need of Supervision (not called the same thing in all states) but that is what you need to be looking at, not emancipation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back