Shared space, other tenant on lease, not paying rent

Status
Not open for further replies.

BeeBee

I share a large warehouse type unit with several other tenants all of whom are on the lease. We each use our area of the unit as a workshop or art space. One of the other tenants regularly fails to pay his rent. The landlord has worked with this tenant in the past, allowing him to exchange services for rent when he couldn't pay. To my knowledge, they have never taken any formal steps, letters, etc. This failure to pay and his regular complaints to the other tenants about the way we use our space has made us want him to leave. How do we go about this? The landlord is ready and willing to sign a new lease without him on it. What are our legal obligations and what are the landlords? Please go step by step. This is new to me.

Thanks.

As a tenant, you have no legal power to get this person to leave. Only the landlord can do that (if they wish to begin the process of filing for eviction).

In other words, it is up the landlord to evict. If the tenant does agree to vacate the rental unit, they can be taken off the lease if all involved with this lease (i.e., the landlord and each tenant as well as the person leaving) signs written documentation to this effect.

Until then, ALL tenants are equally responsible for the rent.

Gail

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back