PayPal + eBay - Be Very Cautious!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael Wechsler

Administrator
Staff member
I'm going to document my recent encounter with eBay and PayPal. Quite frankly, it's a terrifying experience that will probably make people wonder about the competence within each of these companies. In short, I received contradictory information about whether a buyer's address is, in fact, confirmed or not confirmed. How I can receive an email saying the address is unconfirmed but the information after login states it is confirmed is beyond me. The words "seller protection" may have been mentioned a dozen times during a conversation, echoed in rapid succession, without much care as to concern for an inconsistency between eBay, PayPal and within PayPal's system - what they saw on the screen there and what I was being told when I logged in! Absurd!

So what did I do? I called up PayPal and made sure that a rep would tell me there would be NO dangers or risk with regard to sending a package to the address provided to me by PayPal and that no claim of fraud, unauthorized use of a credit card or other defense would be claimed. That's good, because I took the money out of the account AND I sent an email to PayPal documenting their representation. I received a receipt of the letter and the text of that letter. I suggest all of you do the same with PayPal or anyone else with which you have a dispute or question about whether coverage applies. Put PayPal on notice of any problem, error, inconsistency or poor policy they may have and absolve yourself from liability. Let them be embarrassed.

Fortunately my experience has, so far, turned out satisfactory. Still I would advise people not to go through with transactions that sound "too good to be true" and don't pass the smell test. If you are represented something by a company, confirm the contents of that representation (even if oral) in a follow up writing. Best of luck to all of you.

My Dear Professor, I advise everyone to avoid all "online" auction sites, as well as that other site that begins with the third letter of the alphabet and ends with the word "list".

I also advise them to avoid any other site that has any association with those sites and makes its money EXCLUSIVELY from transferring YOUR money to someone else! One site pretends to be your, PAL!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back