Child Support Over Age 18

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwork1964

In 1993 when my daughter was 2 yrs old I was divorced in Tampa, FL and received an order for child support for $380 until my daughter turned 18. In 2005 I was going to try to get a modification and my ex-husband willingly agreed to pay an additional amount and agreed to pay until my daughter graduated from high school. Well my daughter turned 18 in November 2009 and my ex has continued to pay child support until now. Today we received a message from him that he would no longer be sending any checks. My daughter however does not graduate from high school until June 18, 2010. Can I enforce the extra payments even though our divorce papers state until she turns 18? I have all of his emails from 2005 agreeing to pay until she graduates. I now live in Connecticut and my ex lives in Texas but all of the paperwork is still from Florida, nothing was ever filed in any other state it was all just agreed upon by both parties through emails. Please help!!!

In 1993 when my daughter was 2 yrs old I was divorced in Tampa, FL and received an order for child support for $380 until my daughter turned 18. In 2005 I was going to try to get a modification and my ex-husband willingly agreed to pay an additional amount and agreed to pay until my daughter graduated from high school. Well my daughter turned 18 in November 2009 and my ex has continued to pay child support until now. Today we received a message from him that he would no longer be sending any checks. My daughter however does not graduate from high school until June 18, 2010. Can I enforce the extra payments even though our divorce papers state until she turns 18? I have all of his emails from 2005 agreeing to pay until she graduates. I now live in Connecticut and my ex lives in Texas but all of the paperwork is still from Florida, nothing was ever filed in any other state it was all just agreed upon by both parties through emails. Please help!!!

The divorce decree is what governs.
Anything else he said he'd do, is unenforceable.
He did what the court ordered.
He did it longer than ordered to do so.
You could speak to him nicely and ask him to VOLUNTARILY continue the support payments until her graduation in May or June.
Your daughter could nicely and ask him to help her until she graduates.
She could ask him to send the payments to her, and not you.
But, he can not be forced to contribute anything else.
But, her graduation date is less than three months away.
Why not ask dad to give her a graduation gift of $500, early?
That is a good compromise.
Because, he doesn't have to do anything else.

He talked you out of seeking court ordered increases in 2005.
You may have prevailed, or not.
The point is moot.
You didn't do it.
The bell has rung.
The support battle is, ovah!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back