"No Insurance" ticket in another state (4 years ago) - Now my license is suspended

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zyzzyva

Four years ago I was pulled over, in a friends' car, in AZ. I was cited for not having insurance. I went to court and received an extension, but I was homeless at the time and left the state before my next court date (couldn't afford to do anything at the time).

I was still using my AZ license until about a year ago and had no problems. But, when I tried to get a new license in this state, the DMV noticed that it was suspended. Now I have a $1600 fine in AZ that I need to take care of immediately!

I have dug into my retirement account to get the money for this fine. Obviously, I would very much like to pay an amount that is less than $1600.

My questions:

1) Can I request to have the fines reduced? How? Will it do any good?

1) Would a lawyer have a better chance of getting the fines reduced? (I can't afford to hire a lawyer AND still pay the $1600 fines.)

2) Or, should I just call up the AZ court and pay the full amount?

You can ask the court for a reduction, citing your special circumstances, homeless.

You could also ask the court to allow you to make payments.
You might ask to pay $800 immediately, and pay $200 a month until the balance is paid.

And, you can pay it all at one time.

But, give the court a call (or visit the court in person if possible) and see what they might allow you to do.

A lawyer might be another option.
You could speak to one, and see if there is anyway the court would reduce the fine.
I've done that for clients (through the prosecutor) and deals are possible.
Try it and see.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back