Power of Attorney for person in NY with agents in NY and FL

Status
Not open for further replies.

harv

My mother (live in NY) wants to have a power of attorney in place with her daughters as agents (one living in NY and the other in FL).

I have the "DURABLE GENERAL POWER OF ATTORNEY - NEW YORK STATUTORY SHORT FORM". At the end of the form are two acknowledgment sections (one for use within NY and the other for use outside NY.

Do I need to have notaries sign from both states?

I didn't see on the form where the agents sign. Is is correct that the agents do not need to sign this form?

Thanks

1 is Good in 48!

Yes; the information you were given is true and correct; it is not required to have the Power of Attorney notarized in both New York and Florida. The execution of such an instrument in one state will suffice and its authority shall carry over to all 48 (lower) states in the Union per the Uniform Durable Power of Attorney Act.

A power of attorney is to be signed by the person granting the authority known as the "Principal" (in this case your mother) and notarized and depending on the nature of the authority being granted, New York may also require the Principal's signature to be witnessed by two other people.

Also, some states require that after the power of attorney is signed, the Agent prepare and sign a separate Acceptance of Appointment or Acknowledgment of Appointment document but it does not have to be signed at the same time as the Durable Power of Attorney signing.

fredrikklaw

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back