Sex Crimes, Sex Offenders sex crimes/employment law (complex)

Status
Not open for further replies.

tiona

I joined this forum just days ago to discuss an auto repair issue. Ironically that is now the least of my worries.

6 months ago my family made a report about sexual abuse of our teen daughter by a 50 year old man. The accused and my other daughter (age 30) are employed at the same company. The accused is in fact a superior, and this is how he met my young daughter. My older daughter had no idea that this man was involved in a sexually inappropriate relationship with her little sister.

So much time has passed since the initial report that we figured it wouldn't be prosecuted, but the detective called today and said a search warrant is imminent. My primary concerns are getting justice for my teen, this man off the streets and my eldest daughter's safety (she works in the same building). My secondary concern is employment security for my eldest daughter given the circumstances. An arrest is NOT imminent, but a search warrant is. This man and my eldest have maintained an uncomfortable but professional relationship since these events unfolded. The suspect is aware that we know about his misconduct, but is unaware of the ongoing investigation.
I'm very concerned about the safety of my children.
T

Personal safety is one thing, her job is another. Part of this is going to depend on how big the company is that she works for. If he is an owner or close to the owner, it could cause problems. If it's a large company, that will help some. If that's the case, and he causes issues, she needs to talk to someone in human resources. The problem is that while he cannot legally harass her, etc, he can still find other unrelated ways to cause problems for her. If possible she needs to see about a transfer or job change to get out from under his supervision, and to get away from him if she can.

Tiona, from what you describe, the legal process usually protects the innocent.

Your eldest child can seek an order of protection against the alleged molester.

The victim of this pervert, will also receive an order of protection against this molester.

You can wait until his arrest is effected, and the judge will admonish him to stay away from her, your home, and your family during the pendency of his legal matters.

This creature will be enjoined from coming with so many feet of your home, and your child; should the cad make bond.

If you do not wish to await such an event, you can ask a court to grant an emergency order of protection (for the reasons you outline).

Most states have a victim advocate.

That advocate can talk you through what is necessary to protect your family until this matter is resolved.

Your daughter can also work with this advocate, to effect her protection.

The matter of her job is as has been described.

But, documenting these events can serve to offer her some semblance of security.

I offer my sincerest regrets for what your child has suffered.
Please, feel free to call upon me, should you desire more specific guidance and counsel.
Please use the PM to communicate your specific concerns, however.
Again, I offer my regrets that your child has suffered at the hands of this pervert.
Please do not be swayed from the prosecution of this evil creature.
Your precious child is no doubt NOT the first to suffer from this lecherous devil.
Please, persist in his prosecution, so that no other child should suffer at the hands of this maniac.

Last edited:
Thanks so much for your replies. I'm glad that this man is finally going to be held responsible for his deeds. At this point I'll be surprised if they find evidence on his computer etc. So much time has passed, my youngest daughter has come such a long way through counseling etc. But she too wants to move forward with prosecution. I am concerned about our safety. This man has an unnatural/obsessive love for his own young daughter (he is a single dad) that I fear he will go crazy if she is taken from him.

My eldest daughter works for a fairly small company, and this man is not part owner. If my eldest is physically threatened outside of the workplace will a restraining order serve to prevent this guy from coming to work? The detective said that a warrant is imminent, but an arrest may take some time and more evidence.
Tiona

A restraining order can not afford you protection, but it does provide you legal redress.

An OOP isn't body armour, but if he violates it, the police can summarily arrest him!

Get the OOP, and use it.

It'll be another tool in your arsenal.

But, remember, everyone is INNOCENT until proven guilty.

We are considering a restraining order for ourselves and my teen daughter for sure. I just wouldn't want it to backfire on my eldest daughter who unfortunately shares an office with this predator. It has been so very difficult for her. When these events were initially discovered he was driving by her house on several occasions, however law enforcement said that nothing could be done unless there was an actual threat and at that time, none existed. He did contact her (my eldest) after he realized we were aware of the situation, and essentially apologize profusely for falling in love with her baby sister...but it was "her fault" not his. My 14 year old apparently pursed him. We have documented proof of this. We purchased an alarm system for her family residence at that time. Her work environment has remained strained, but somewhat professional so far. This guy thinks he is in the clear at this point. He will be surprised when the raid occurs. I'm afraid there may be a possibility of workplace violence and the detective is aware of my concern.

We are conflicted and concerned. I feel like I need to park outside my eldest daughter's workplace to monitor this situation. She says she's just grateful that something is finally being done, but I know she is worried sick.

We feel so powerless. I know that we are doing the right thing and this will protect other children, but I can now also appreciate why more people don't come forward in similar circumstances.
T

Last edited:
Tiona, I understand you situation.
May God protect you and yours as you pursue justice for your child.
Know this, no child can legally pursue an adult.
You might ask your daughter to move in with you, after the arrest of this creep is effected.

6 months ago my family made a report about sexual abuse of our teen daughter by a 50 year old man. The accused and my other daughter (age 30) are employed at the same company. The accused is in fact a superior, and this is how he met my young daughter. My older daughter had no idea that this man was involved in a sexually inappropriate relationship with her little sister.
Is there any proof to the allegations? What have the police said? Is your teen daughter under 18?

And what, exactly, do you mean by "sexually inappropriate?" That statement is very vague and not everything that might be covered under such a broad definition might be criminal.

So much time has passed since the initial report that we figured it wouldn't be prosecuted, but the detective called today and said a search warrant is imminent.
Interesting that he would call you and tell you that ... I wouldn't. But, I suppose he had some reason to do it, though I am curious why it took 6 months and what they hope to find.

What kind of evidence might there be of this relationship?

An arrest is NOT imminent, but a search warrant is. This man and my eldest have maintained an uncomfortable but professional relationship since these events unfolded. The suspect is aware that we know about his misconduct, but is unaware of the ongoing investigation.
I'm very concerned about the safety of my children.
T
I can only guess that your teen daughter no longer goes there. I am surprised your adult daughter does. Since she does, if she feels endangered and has some objective reasons to articulate to a court of why she is in fear for her safety, then she can seek a restraining order ... or, she can quit. If she only feels "creeped out" by the guy, that won't cut it.

EDIT: Okay ... I see now that she is 14 and that she apparently pursued him.

However, there would still need to be proof of a sexual relationship or other unlawful activity for their to be a crime. Presumably the police hope to find video, photos, or something of your daughter at the suspect residence if they intend to serve a search warrant on him.

I hope that you have gotten your daughter into counseling. If she did, indeed, pursue this guy, she needs some help. Even if she did not pursue him, she still needs some help to allow her to deal with whatever happened.

Last edited:
My youngest daughter is doing very well, she has been in counseling for 6 months. The abuse...mostly online chatting, vivid sexual chatter, making plans for the day she would be free to be with him forever etc. This all began when she was 14 ("her fault."), got more intense when she had more freedom at age 16 (driver's license), she is now 17. There has been sexual contact. I've allowed her privacy because she feels guilty and embarrassed at telling me the details. She has talked freely to her counselor and the detectives. It makes me sick to know that he was in "the crowd" watching her at theater productions etc.

My eldest daughter has been working with this man for 10 years. My youngest met him briefly at her older sister's house, and he got her email address at that time, telling her he knew music producers who could help her "get famous." My youngest happened to be playing the piano and singing at this particular event.

This is a long story, I know. I just want my girls to be ok and this guy to get what he deserves. I don't know why it took so long to pursue this case, I was in contact with law enforcement weekly. Crime has been unusually high in our small town this past year and resources have been limited given the current economy. Law enforcement informed me of their plans because I asked them to PLEASE keep me informed in order to ensure the safety of my family. I don't know absolute dates and details....I am so glad that they have given us a "heads up" and are actually pursing this case.

Note to parents: Monitor your kid's computer use carefully! If they have a cell phone, DO NOT let them have "unlimited text messaging." My daughter is a bright, talented girl, we gave her the tools and educated her about the "bad guys." We trusted her to make good choices. Teen's are still kids, still young and still vulnerable. A 14 year old may be sexually curious, but they don't pursue 50 year old men!
T

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back