Private entity searching and taking my property

Status
Not open for further replies.

capote

My private university broke into my room (which is admittedly their property) and searched for marijuana with no results. However they found a glass pipe and confiscated it.
I've asked them several times to return it because of its value to me, and was wondering if I could potentially have any legal rights to get it back if i hired an attorney.

My private university broke into my room (which is admittedly their property) and searched for marijuana with no results. However they found a glass pipe and confiscated it.
I've asked them several times to return it because of its value to me, and was wondering if I could potentially have any legal rights to get it back if i hired an attorney.

Had it ever been used for illegal drugs?? If so I would leave well enough alone.

You need to check the lease agreement (or whatever the written agreement is for you to live there.) There may be a provision that they are allowed to enter and search your room, which means it is not illegal to do so, and as stated i that pipe has ever been used to smoke drugs, you might end up with some drug charges to face if you press the issue.

Check on your state laws regarding the pipe... in some jurisdictions a marijuana pipe itself is not contraband (unless you are a juvenile), even if it has burnt residue in it.

Most likely your agreement to live in the room probably requires some sort of notice to you prior to entering. You have a reasonable expectation to privacy even if it is their property. If entry was made and property was taken, what you have is a burglary... whether or not to report it is up to you, and it really depends whether your possession of the pipe itself is illegal in your state.

Your right to privacy was most likely violated. It is totally up to you what you want to do about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back