Am I too late to file Workers Comp?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gteagle

A couple of months ago my right knee started popping loudly when I would straighten it. I had no pain whatsoever, so I did nothing about it. About 2 weeks ago, I was getting ready for work and twisted my knee. Now I have a lot of pain. I went to an orthopedic doctor and he did an x-ray and MRI. The MRI showed that I have a torn Medial Meniscus. My doctor wants to do surgery and the book he gave me states that a sudden twist or repeated squatting can tear the meniscus. I do a lot, and I really mean a lot of squatting and I'm constantly on my feet with my job at work. My question is do I file for Workers Comp or is it too late? If I do file, will they deny me because I waited too long or because I don't have enough proof that it happened because of my job. I have never filed workers comp in my life and I don't have a clue to what to do. Will it be a waste of my time and everyone else and a possible chance of losing my job? I know that I will have to see their doctors, but will they postpone the surgery date that I already have scheduled?

All you can do is try. I don't know what Ohio's regulations are, but from a layman's perspective I think your actions were reasonable so hopefully the Ohio worker's comp commission will think so also. I don't have a crystal ball so I can't say what they will do, but the worst they can do is deny the claim, in which case your regular health insurance should pick it up. (You may need to include a copy of the workers comp denial letter.) You CANNOT legally be fired for filing a workers comp claim, even if the claim is denied.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back