Medical Malpractice HIPAA Violation

Status
Not open for further replies.

dazedone

When my wife and I split up this past summer, she took our Nurse Practitioner with her to court. She got the NP to file stalking allegations on me as well as my wife filing a RO.

Without getting into the whole story, which was bogus anyway, at the court hearing the NP said that she had treated me for herpes and back pain. I got a CD of the conversation as well as the transcript. I felt that my privacy rights had been violated in a terrible way.

I sent the information to the district Office of Civil Rights who responded to me that they would conduct an investigation.

When I got the summary of the investigation the other day, the NP admitted that more information was given than allowed. She had to review the rules, do a question/answer test of some type, which she passed and the case was closed (so a slap on the hand is all she got).

But because it was found that she violated my HIPAA privacy rights by the OCR and the fact that she admitted it, I am curious about suing her. I wouldn't have been nearly as offended if she had said she treated me for shingles, which is true. She didn't even specify the type of herpes and now my medical condition is part of public record.:blush:blush

I'm still pissed and wondering what to do. Would it not be worth it to sue her? And, what is your experience with such matters.

Thanks alot.

Last edited:
You could, but you'd have to prove damages. I'm sure a lawyer could come up with a figure. But personally, I'd see about getting her medical license suspended or revoked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back