Criminal Law shoplifting/USA visa application

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lusine

My name is Lusine, I live in the Republic of Armenia. I have been in the USA in 1999 and 2000.
last time I was in the usa by J 1 visa in 2000. Once I stole from a cloth store (in the state Pennsylvania)and the director of the store called the pollice. I have not been arrested but eventually I was called to the court and they charged me 70$ for shoplifting and took my fingerprints.That was it. I payed my fee, and nothing else happened. and that was the only and last time I did shoplifting.After a month I finished my job and came back to Armenia.
This year I am planning to visit to the USA again after 10 years. My question is the following - in the visa application form there is a point to check " have you ever been arrested or convicted for a crime previously in the USA" should I check it as Yes or no? (my problem is also regarding my family. I wouldn't like this issue of my past to come up, although I know it's not a big deal, but still, I feel really embarassed)
and the second question is- what's the condition of my fingerprints? are they saved? in the border where they'll check my fingerprints , will it appear that I have been coinvicted, etc.?what problems can it bring up?
what should I do?

thanks a lot in advance,
looking forward to be answered soon.

Actually you were arrested.It was likely a "citizen's arrest" by store security but its still an arrest. Far as conviction since we do not know outcome of your court case we cannot say. Contact the Attorney who handled your case or court itself to find out disposition of case. Either the arrest or possible conviction could result in denial of entry into the States. It would further be wise to contact an Attorney familar with immigration law. In mean time there is a link in my signature line. It will take you to a site just for shoplifting issues. You will find experts there who can answer your questions as well its very likely

Thanks for your quick reply!
actually, I was hoping that since it was 10 years ago, and after that I have travelled a lot, etc this shoplifting isue will not be considered so seriously.Also, I was not deported from the USA, I left the country myself within the expiration of my visa .
the problem is that I don't remebere even that small town's name where that happened, and the name of the attorney. So, don't know where to start from.

Homeland Security checks foreign visitors from many countries. They do a criminal check upon your arrival in the US.

If a visa is required for entry into the US (depends on your home country)
you'll be discovered when you apply for it at the US Embassy. They do criminal checks. If you lie about it, and are discovered, they'll deny your visa.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back