Unemployment for quitting to avoid illegal activites.

Status
Not open for further replies.

middlemonster

I work for Instant Tax Service, a franchise in Inglewood, CA. They are transmitting tax returns using last paycheck stubs, before receiving W2s from the customers. They register EFINs under false addresses and use more than one in each of their satellite offices. They are undermining the corporation but using a separate private entity to sumbit tax returns without the mother corporation's knowledge.

They make me work 15-20 hour shifts without giving me more notice than that morning. Countless times I have told my boss I can't work too much overtime and I need a day off. For a while he lets it go but then asks me to work extra hours on a daily basis. I do get paid overtime and double time for the extended hours.

I don't want to be involved in these illegal activities and long hours and want to quit my job. But I do not want to confront my boss as to the reason I am quitting, I was going to tell him that I am unhappy with the job and need to work under a less stressful environment.

Can I collect unemployment in the state of California if I quit for those reasons, even without telling my boss I am quitting because of the illegal activities? Should I quit anyways? Should I give them 2 weeks notice or can I quit immediately?

I was going to tell him that I am unhappy with the job and need to work under a less stressful environment.

If you tell the employer you are quitting for this reason, your chances for unemployment benefits basically go out the window.

They make me work 15-20 hour shifts without giving me more notice than that morning. Countless times I have told my boss I can't work too much overtime and I need a day off.
That's tax season, baby. ;)

Is this a permanent position or one just for the tax season?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back