S-Corp or LLC for indie filmmaker/media production company??

Status
Not open for further replies.

NY2ME

Hi - I'm in NYC and need to form business entity for media production co. Trying to figure out which is better for me, an S-Corp or an LLC. Will be focused on indie filmmaking and producing digital media. Either type of entity will have me as the only owner. No partners, but I want more protection than a sole proprietorship offers. If need be, my spouse is willing to be a board member or shareholder, but there wouldn't be any others and I will be making all decisions. Need business entity to pay crew, get insurance, etc.

Also, can an accountant set this up, or do I need an attorney?

Appreciate all advice, but especially hoping to hear from attorneys well-versed in entertainment law or experienced with indie filmmakers.

Would like some advice ASAP - hoping to get the paperwork started this week. Thanks!

You can set everything up yourself. Typically if there won't be further investors, an LLC is usually more practical. An S-Corp makes more sense when you're looking to have other investors. In New York, I believe the LLC may also have some other advantages. I'll ask one of my colleagues but most of the entities I've dealt with are LLCs for just the same reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back