Copyright infringement civil case brought by Bose corporation

Status
Not open for further replies.

pumping

Hi all,

I need help with a rather unfortunate situation I've found myself in. I lived temporarily in PA
last year but I've now returned to Ireland.

In September last year, I got a summon regarding the sale of counterfeit Bose headphones on
Ebay. The case was in MA. This came as a shock because I've not used my Ebay account for more than 2 years.Immediately I felt there must have been some mistake. So, I tried to log into my account to
see if any such transactions took place on my account. At this point, I discovered that my
account was blocked.

I made several attempts to reactivate the account but this never worked and eventually I reached
customer support through their chat tool that was able to help with reactivating the account. During
the course of our chat, I asked her why my account was disabled and she said it was becauase they
believe a 3rd party had accessed my account and listed unauthorized transactions. This included the
sale of Bose head phones. I did not find any such transactions on my account but she said they
normally delete such information after such listings have been cancelled.

My first confusion is how does Ebay know that a 3rd party had accessed the account and how can this be
proved to Bose? Also the following issues.

1. I never got an email about the listing. She claimed that the person could have changed the email linked to my account. However, this should also send me an email and she said the person could have
blocked my hotmail from accepting emails from Ebay. This also did not make sense becauase while trying
to reactivate my account I kept getting emails from Ebay. However, there is another part. I got an email
from paypal a few months before this that a 3rd party accessed my account and someone also accessed my
hotmail account and sent a marketing mail to everyone on my contact list. At that point, my hotmail,
ebay and paypal accounts had the same email.

2. At the moment I don't have any specific information on what was sold and when.

In that Chat, ebay asked me to print out the chat session text and quote the session number to the lawyers to prove that the transactions were not by me.

Anyway, I responded to the summmon as best as I could and sent the information regarding the chat with
Ebay. I thought this would be sufficient for the lawyers to drop me off the case but I kept getting
correspondence in Ireland regarding the proceedings.

Just before christmas I contacted the lawyers directly and I explained the situation again. He asked me to email him the chat text and session number and that he will be able to sort things out for me.

Then I called him earlier this week and he said his client (Bose) was still going through the details. It
was rather strange to me that this is still ongoing despite the admission by Ebay that this transactions
were not by me.

I need advice on what I can do at the moment regarding this case. I have now written to Ebay to give me more information regarding the said transactions and further proof. My thought is that anyone using my account to list will need to get paid somehow. Ebay should be able to provide the information of where
the payment went.

Thanks.

Babs

Yes, there should be a record if payments, email correspondence, and an account of ISP addresses. You should inquire of Ebay management of this items. You might also advise them that your account was hacked and ask them to work with you and law enforcement. Their security dept should be able to assist you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1. Notifications, if any, could have gone into your spam/junk mail.
2. I don't know about ebay but someone who got hold of your login and password might have been able to change the email address associated with the account and you'd get no notices.
3. If the IP address is from a different location from the user's physical address listing and is suspect (e.g. user in US, accesses coming from Russia and China), it could trigger a failsafe warning.

There are many ways. eBay is so rife with attempts at fraud, unfortunately, and must react being such a big target for scammers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back