Weapons, Guns, Firearms I want my gun rights back!!! please help!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

gixxer73

I currently live in Kodak, TN. I was arrested in Jacksonville, AR in 1995 for misdem for fighting. from my understanding it was a misdem right below a felony???? Anyway was convicted and fined. Had never been arrested before or since. I went to nursing school but I had to get a pardon first or no nursing license. I applied to the prison board of Little Rock, AR and after about 9 months recieved a pardon fron then Gov. Mike Huckabee. All rights were restored EXCEPT BUYING A FIREARM.

How can I get this off?? I am a law abiding citizen and have been a RN since 2003. I love to hunt and shoot, and I'm really sick of not being able to buy a gun!!

PLEASE HELP, THANK YOU

When you were convicted of a misdemeanor you did not lose your gun rights. You have to do nothing, you didn't lose your gun rights.

Were you ever forcibly in a mental institution?

Otherwise, like JHarris I don't understand why you'd lose your gun rights over a misdemeanor. . .

When you were convicted of a misdemeanor you did not lose your gun rights. You have to do nothing, you didn't lose your gun rights.

Ok man read my entry again.:no: I said "my pardon/declaration states all right restored with the exception of buying firearms"

I tried to buy one on two different occasions and was denied, now do ya get it????

I did lose my right to purchase, it states it clearly on my pardon from Arkansas, Wish it was as easy as yo make it sound though.

Just dug out all the paperwork. I was convicted of 3rd degree battery. It states all rights restored excluding the right "to own or possess firearms" Again this is all stated on my pardon proclomation.

Were you ever forcibly in a mental institution?

Otherwise, like JHarris I don't understand why you'd lose your gun rights over a misdemeanor. . .

so i was a little incorrect with exact vocabulary.

It states "excluding right to own or possess a firearm"

This also stops me from purchasing a firearm. It makes me pop up on the radar as a mass murderer I guess over a dumb fight over 15 years ago when I was 21yrs old!!!!

OK Arkansas law 3rd degree battery is a Class A misdemeanor, so you are totally right!!!

So why when I got the pardon from Huckabee did it say "Excluding the right to own or posess a firearm???

How can that be thrown in when it was a Class A misdemeanor to start with??????

OK Arkansas law 3rd degree battery is a Class A misdemeanor, so you are totally right!!!

So why when I got the pardon from Huckabee did it say "Excluding the right to own or posess a firearm???

How can that be thrown in when it was a Class A misdemeanor to start with??????
IF it was ONLY a misdemeanor conviction, you didn't lose your right to bear arms.

Did this 'fight' involve your spouse or ex-spouse?

If so, that might have cost you your right to bear arms.

Otherwise, I'd call (or write) the prosecutor's office that originally handled the matter.

Good luck.

no spouse was involved. so i should write them and say what roughly??

If no spouse was involved or if you did not brandish a firearm then it has to be some type of mistake.?.? I would go to or call the courts and ask them if indeed you have lost your rights to bear arms which I guess you did if you got denied purchasing a firearm. I guess in arkansas you can petion the courts after so many years for your rights back....all of them.

I agree... it is either a mistake, or the offense was domestic in some qualifying way. You said it was not a spouse... was it a former spouse, someone you dated, or parent of your child?

it was a ex aquaintence and her boyfriend

starting to get it now, that just because this female was involved I lose my gun right!!??

so can I still petition the courts in AR to change it?? I mean it has been over 15 years almost and I have nothing since except a speeding ticket

it was a ex aquaintence and her boyfriend

starting to get it now, that just because this female was involved I lose my gun right!!??

so can I still petition the courts in AR to change it?? I mean it has been over 15 years almost and I have nothing since except a speeding ticket

yes you can petition the courts. and yes it sucks that you lost your rights over a misd. A misd. fight with no weapons and like I said you were charged with a misd so couldnt have been but so bad and you lost your gun privlages.....just doesnt seem right. Good Luck

A good place to start

I, have personaly dealt with similar problems in another state, To obtain the specific authority to own or posses a firearm you will have to get that permission from the Arkansas Board of Executive Clemency. The same way you got your conditional Pardon.
Contacting them would be a good start. They will tell you the procedures and steps to take in order to be considered for a hearing of your plea.
Good Luck:D

I am neither a lawyer nor an expert in this matter
This is not legal advice, but rather intended for
referance.

Last edited:
do you lose your gun right in tennssee if you get a simple assault misdemeanor /not domestic

Probably not, but worry about addressing the current charge.

Talk to your lawyer.

Hire one, or ask the court to appoint one to assist you.

Having a gin isn't better than having your freedom!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back