Unemployment Eligibility Help!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

LittleLaura

This is what happened;
I have worked for the company just under a year. In August I moved into my current position. The hired me aware that I was a fulltime student and that I planned to continue into the spring semester. The company itself requires full time employees to work 35-40 hours. The facility I work in required 40.
I wasn't sure that I could handle the work load and school so I thought about it and sent my manager an email saying that I dont think that I can stay into the next semester. (This was yesterday). Today I said I wanted to try and make my school schedule work to fit the 40 hours. I did some class rearranging and made it work. Last semester they worked with my class schedule, allowing me to come in early, leave early for classes and work weekends to make up hours.
The director called me into the office and said its not going to work out unless I work the hours that HE wants me too, not what works with my school schedule.
Basically he said its either school (my LAST semester) or my position.
He said he will accept my resignation for 22nd the in writing.
I didn't want to sign anything until I knew what my rights are. I understand that resigning from a position does not qualify for unemployment benefits.
Did that email I sent automatically disqualify me for benefits?

Ahh! Sorry for the mouthful! I just don't know how to go about this!

No, the email does not disqualify you- but if you do end up leaving the job willingly because of your school schedule then you won't get unemployment. If they end up firing you for failing to come to work then you won't get it either.
They are not required to meet the needs of your school schedule, even if they did before. There is nothing wrong with their demand, and that leaves you in a tough spot.
Are you unable to get student loans to help you through one last semester? Are any family members willing to help you through the last few months? Can you find a temp job that will help get you by that fits in your schedule?

You have some tough problems to solve, and surely it is frustrating being so close to the end.

It wouldn't hurt to get hold of someone at the unemployment office and discuss your options BEFORE you quit or get fired. Maybe they can guide you through a loophole to help you out. However, a condition of unemployment is to be actively searching for work... so you better get started on that one soon. You might find work before you even need a check.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back