Conflict of Interest being Actor/PT Job

Status
Not open for further replies.

BHAussie

State: California

I was meant to be working as an extra (tv show) through my extras casting agency and the location for the shoot is also where I work part-time.

I made full disclosure to both the agency (after the assistant director for the production approached me at my workplace) and to my workplace.

I made arrangements with my employer not to schedule me that day as they instructed me to, as they said I could do it just not whilst being scheduled to work that day as they believed it was a "conflict of interest" to work and be an extra. Now they have changed their mind and will not allow me to perform as an extra at my workplace (even though I do not work my normal part-time job that day).

Please advise whether they can require me not to perform my extra's work (whether there is a conflict of interest or otherewise) and thereby fire me (my employment is at will - tho I have kept a recorded phone message advising me of the change in decision from my manager).

The shoot (could be my big break, maybe not too, but...) is for tomorrow and I was notified this afternoon, so Urgent please!

Cheers

If they advised you of the change by leaving a message.... then simply tell them you didn't get the message if they complain.

How much do you need the PT job? If they make a big deal about it then move along to somewhere that they aren't so uptight.

Lots of employers have rules about not being on the premises during non-working hours. Who knows what their reasons are, but they are within their rights.

What kind of employer is it that you work for? I can't imagine that it would matter so long as you are not in their uniform. Even then, I don't see that it should be an issue at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back