Favoritism in the workplace

Status
Not open for further replies.

JackG

:confused: I am trying to find out if the law allows to sue the company you work for favoritism? I always give 110% although I am being punished for coming in late from time to time, responsibilities are being taken away from me that would allow me to earn commission. I know of others in my office who not only come in late, but sometimes never show up and they are receiving a pat on the back for their job performance.

Favoritism in the workplace is not illegal and does not give you cause to sue. The only exception would be if you have valid evidence to show that others were being treated more favorable BECAUSE OF their race, religion, national origin or other group protected by state or Federal law.

I would suggest that you stop coming in late and see if that makes a difference.

cbg said:
Favoritism in the workplace is not illegal and does not give you cause to sue. The only exception would be if you have valid evidence to show that others were being treated more favorable BECAUSE OF their race, religion, national origin or other group protected by state or Federal law.

I would suggest that you stop coming in late and see if that makes a difference.

CBG is correct. I think this question was also answered elsewhere and replies would be quicker if placed in the appropriate topical area so people will find them. ;)

What if

The behavior(s) being favored causes work slowdowns, missed deadlines, etc., which damages the performance (along with reputation, evaluation, opportunities for advancement, etc.) of other, unfavored employees? (one bad apple spoiling the whole bunch, as it were). Both the favored employee and the supervisor are especially vocal about their shared religious beliefs and the lateness, excessive absenteeism, and hours-long personal phone calls on company time are deliberately overlooked.

(I try to be logical about these things.... I think:

leaving 10 minutes early
arriving 10 minutes late
spending 10 minutes extra outside taking a smoke during break time,
spending 10 minutes in another employee's office talking about the grandchildren,
spending 10 minutes on the internet on non-work-related activities
spending 10 minutes telling jokes by the water cooler,
spending 10 minutes on a personal phone call,

should be treated exactly the same, as they all have the same effect on the company's bottom line.)

I don't necessarily disagree, but just because you and I think they ought to be treated the same doesn't mean that the law requires them to be treated the same.

The problem when you work "at will" is that you can be terminated for any reason or none at all. they feel it doesn't work out and it's time to move onto a job elsewhere. They need to find other employees who care about the job and that's the employer's problem.

Hiring by favoritism

i have a question. if somone high up in the company hires the daughter of somone one high up in another company as a favor does this violate EEOC? in other words there is a position open at my workplace and i am a perfect fit for the job however i am being passed up because someon higher up has a daughter who needs a job. she does not have any experience regarding our product and i feel this is truly unfair. yes i know the world is not fair but what i want to know is this type of favoritism illegal. unethical yes but is it illegal.

thanks,

And no, that is not a case for the EEOC or any other regulatory agency; it is legal to pass you over for a higher up's daughter. They are not obligated to promote or transfer you no matter how good a fit you think you are or how much better qualified.

I was wondering about favoritism,Supervisor always have the same people stay late.They would tell me everything is done.Then he have someone pull out a pallet out work on I would ask i could have done it.I would start cleam up,then he would say i clock you out and i got someone to do it.It's always the same people.If they are finish they would put them on different pay hr under janitor to work a few more hrs.I would be working 3-3.5 hr while they work 5 or more hrs.Before we start we have to sign in and out.Some of them don't,they don't want other see how many hrs they make.I always on time,maybe once or twice late.I do my job to my best.I work in my area by myself,were they have 2 -3 people.I get most of it done,then they help me with the last few case's.I take my trash out after he would your done.Then is more work to be done.It's always the same people,to me what the different if I do it or them.

what if my supervisors family member who is late literally 3-5 times a week, calls out 3-4 times a month, smokes every hour, and when hes late coming back from lunch (half hr or more) she writes on his time card that he only took a half hr. then she treats everyone else like its a slave camp. constantly bullying people. one of our requirements (the 2ns question she asked me after my name) was that we had to life 60-75 pounds, but whenever she gets the whole warehouse to do a heavy lifting job she says he doesnt have to because he cant. hes extremely lazy. she lets it all go and covers up for him but then treats the rest of us like we are slaves or in a concentration camp. she constantly defends him whenever the owner asks about him. she doesnt really bother me but there are some hard working people she really almost harrases all day long. whenever we bring it upo to our main boss and owner he just says he will speak to her about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back