Harassment, Stalking, Misconduct Telephone Harassment?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bacon123

I was requested to appear at the office of the municipal prosecutor to answer to a complaint of telephone harassment. I called the office and I was told that this was simply a meeting to determine if I should be charged with a crime. The specifics are as follows:

1. My ex-girlfriend is currently on misdemeanor probation for assaulting me and for filing a false police report. She also has two pending felony charges for domestic violence pending in the County Court of Common Please.

2. There currently is not a protection order in place against her and the two of us had constant contact with each other on a daily basis from 8/15/2009 until 10/29/2009. We also had a son together on 10/19/2009, and I was present at the baby's birth. I am currently living at my parents house and she is living with her aunt.

3.On 10/31/2009 I was contacted by a patrol officer at the local police district and I was told that I must cease all contact with my ex because she claimed that I was harassing her.

4. On 11/2/2009, my ex called me from her mother's cell phone and initiated contact with me again. Furthermore, she called me from her mother's cell phone on several other occasions. We also conversed with each other via chat on G-mail everyday from 11/2 to 11/19. I have the chats saved. My ex invited me over to her aunt's house, and she also invited me to call her at her aunt's house.

5. As I stated, I was called to answer a complaint for telephone harassment. How can this be? My ex was contacting me. She called me, e-mailed me, and invited me over. How can I be guilty of harassment as we were having mutual contact with each other?

6. What did I do wrong? I figured that by contacting me, she nullified her claims of harassment. Also, what is the purpose of this prosecutor hearing? Do I need a lawyer? Can I bring witnesses with me? In Ohio, phone harassment is a first degree misdemeanor. Additionally, she does have several felony charges pending against her for assaulting me. I believe these charges are an attempt to get back at me for her current legal predicament; however, I still must go to this hearing. Can anyone offer some advice?

Last edited:
You should definately go with a lawyer.

Officers are allowed to lie to get evidence, etc. You may be going in for one thing, according to them, but the meeting is really about something else entirely.

If you were simply requested to go in, and not ordered to by a summons, then you can choose to not go at all if you are concerned about it.
If you are being investigated for harassing phone calls, the only way they are going to get evidence against you is if you voluntarily provide it. Avoiding the meeting will make them suspicious of you, but will also prevent you from saying something you don't want to. As mentioned above, if you go in, you should bring a lawyer. With a lawyer present, the meeting will likely be brief.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back