AZ security deposit laws?

Status
Not open for further replies.

aztenant

I live in Arizona. What are the state laws concerning the time limit for which a landlord/owner has to report damages by a tenant? I have looked at the landlord-tenant thing provided by the sec. of state, but I can't find anything about it. Can they claim and sue for damages anytime they want, or is there some kind of expiration date? If they claim damages several months after we moved out, whose to say we are responsible for those damages? Tried to get ahold of legal aid here but cant talk to a real person yet. Thanks.

Yeah thats me. Legal aid said they would be giving me advice by telling me that, even though I just want to know what the law states. Would that be 2 years or 6?

This is what I think...

1. If you decide not to sue your landlord for not notifying you in time regarding your security deposit, they will never return the favor by filing a lawsuit against you.

2. If you do decide to sue, they will likely do the same because they have nothing to lose by doing this.

3. If you move out of state (and I believe you indicated you might do this) it is doubtful your landlord will take the time to hunt you down and sue you.

Gail

Thank you Gail for all your help. Really we just want this guy to realize he has to follow the rules like anyone else. I realize now how landlord friendly Arizona is. We probably wont sue just to avoid the headache, but we will make sure that he provides us with an itemized list of deductions. Another win for the greedy I guess, but let him sleep with himself at night. Thanks again for all your time and effort. The world needs more people like you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back