Missed payment of $170 turned into $4600 and a lawsuit???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alex75k

I am being sued by a collection law firm for a single missed payment of $170 in condo association fees in 2006. Not a single other payment is missed BUT the law firm is asking for $4600 in late and legal fees.

The caveat is that we moved to other state and I (unintentionally) did not update condo association with my new address. Since 2007, having no contact information, this law firm was doing all the 'motions' to find me and finally they did (thru the mortgage company). Now they claim I owe 4600 out of which as I understand at least 3700 are in legal fees.

Is it considered normal to charge 3700 of legal fees on 900 debt?
What are my chances to argue that in court?

Last edited:
Your chances of winning that are ABSOLUTELY WONDERFUL. Attorney firms are allowed, sometimes, to charge "reasonable" attorney fees. That will be no where near $3700.

Good luck.

At the core of the issue is you HOA bylaws that you agreed to when you moved into the condo. It probably has a stipulation that they can charge you interest and/or legal fees, so doing so by itself would not be illegal, however as pointed out, $3,700??? Definitely fight that one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back