Forced to take a personal day when I worked

Status
Not open for further replies.

crmallett

I am a teacher and am over yearbook. On our picture day, I was originally told that I could not have a sub or I would have to take a personal day. I got coverage for my classes. Later that day, an Assistant Principal told me that I could have a sub and say that it is professional development.

On the makeup picture day, I requested a substitute and put professional leave as the reason. Near the end of the picture day (the photographer was leaving at 1pm) I was told by another Assistant Principal that I could not take a professional leave because professional leave is designed to do with learning. They told me I would have to take a personal day in order to pay the sub. When I talked to the principal, he said his boss would not approve of it. He apologized profusely, but I still had to take a personal day on the day that I worked.

I was recently told by someone that works in a neighboring educational district that what they did was against the law. Is there anyway that I can get my personal day back? If so, what actions can I take?

So, individual employment contract? Unless the contract prohibits this action, you're going to have to handle it internally. Wage and hour law doesn't care.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back