Copyright Infringement

Status
Not open for further replies.

enizin

I accidentally let my company web domain name expire about 6 months ago and now there is a company sqautting on it. Without providing too many details my company name is my domain name (MyWebSite.com LLC - www_mywebsite_com) and I'm wondering if that entitles me to the domain and if I have any legal right to it? If so how do I go about getting it transfered or released so I may reclaim it?

Thanks so much,

Ian

I accidentally let my company web domain name expire about 6 months ago and now there is a company sqautting on it. Without providing too many details my company name is my domain name (MyWebSite.com LLC - www_mywebsite_com) and I'm wondering if that entitles me to the domain and if I have any legal right to it? If so how do I go about getting it transfered or released so I may reclaim it?
1. Do you have a registered trademark?

2. Do you have any rights to a local trademark? Do you know?

3. Is your name unique (like Bezzaby Tire Store)?

4. Is the squatter trying to obtain revenue that is related? This means that if the answer to question 3 was yes and the squatter is trying to provide links to sell tires, obviously using your mark?

Unless you have one of the above, it will be very difficult to get your domain name back. Let me ask an obvious question - how could you let it lapse for 6 months? My guess is that if this is the case, the domain may not have been that important and now you may find it difficult to get back your name without a sale since you may have no right to compel the return of the domain name.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back