Statute of limitations in Ct. Income tax

Status
Not open for further replies.

Geeoff01

I just opened my mailbox to find the State of Ct. would like to settle personnel income tax for the years 95 and 96. I was wondering if there is a statute of limatations regarding enforcement in Ct. I had a Fed lien for the same time period which was released last year. I have not lived in Ct. for 10 years and now reside in Vt.
Thank you

Last edited:
There is but you'd better consult directly with a CPA certified in Connecticut.

Odds are you can probably tell them to go pound sand.

It depends on if you filed. Until you filed there is no statute of limitations. I doubt seriously you can tell the state to "go pound sand." States can put you in jail for not paying taxes so I would do it very carefully. Call a CPA in the state, like the other poster said and hope all is well.

hi friends,

Income taxes are used for a wide variety of government activities while payroll taxes pay for specific programs.

Hi,

I just wondered how your case is resolved?

I just noticed that State of CT put a lien on my bank account (neither State of CT nor the bank have ever contact me regarding the issue), just notice when I see my balance and ask the bank.

Have been trying to contact the CT Department of Revenue, they haven't called back.
So still don't know the detail.
I filed tax every year until 2004. I moved away in 2005.

Last edited:
Apparently this was taxing Brian's patience and he just had to get it off of his chest. Me, I have a great reserve of patience. I've yet to use any. Or, so I've been told.

States are very reluctant to being told to pound sand. Unlike the feds, the states can not print money. So they are more aggresive about collecting taxes than the IRS

Hi
We just received an audit from our filing going back to 2005. We have never had notice mailed to us before. In the audit it says that we initially owed $483. Then there is a $50.00 penalty fee. Penalty for what exactly? Then there is a interest charge of $284.97 which makes the total owed $817.97. Could someone please explain to me how interest can be tacked on for 5 years without notifying us. To me this looks no different that the mob giving you a loan and tacking on points.

You probably should have started your own new thread. It is just like credit card companies charge interest on past due credit cards that aren't paid what is owed for years - the interest adds up. The IRS can do just about what they want.

You didn't say whether federal or state tax & we don't know your state since you added your question to another poster's old thread & didn't mention your state.

You can talk to a CPA or tax accountant & see what they say.

I live in the state of Connecticut, it's the state tax
You probably should have started your own new thread. It is just like credit card companies charge interest on past due credit cards that aren't paid what is owed for years - the interest adds up. The IRS can do just about what they want.

You didn't say whether federal or state tax & we don't know your state since you added your question to another poster's old thread & didn't mention your state.

You can talk to a CPA or tax accountant & see what they say.

Ok. I would still talk to a CPA or tax attorney & see what they say - particularly since this is from 2005. SOL could have elapsed - seems per my info 3 years Ct. though notes some caveats could apply (such as you amended your state tax return .....) A CPA or tax attorney in your state should be able to tell you of all the exceptions to the 3 yr. rule.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back