Eviction help in Tn

Status
Not open for further replies.

JamesH

My tenants are 2 months behind paying their rent, 3 months on Dec 1. I'm confused as to what i need to do to evict them. I have tried working out an arangement with them to get caught up and they won't return my ph calls or if someone answer other than the tenant, they always say the tenants are not there. I hand delivered a letter on Nov 16th, to an adult male, at the residence. He said the tenants were not there. The letter was an attempt to help them get their rent caught up, as I really like the family and would like them to stay. They have not responded or returned any of my phone calls. What do I need to do to evict them.

Thanks,
Steve

In most states the process goes like this

. You give or post a notice to pay or quit (time frame in accordance to state law)
. If they do not pay you go to court and file for eviction and have defendant served.

Is the notice to pay or quit just a certified letter in the mail or what ? Does the letter i gave them do the same thing ?

I am not familar with TN law. In my state the note need not be certified or even placed in tenants hand. (They know they owe rent). It just needs to say they have X days to pay rent or leave dwelling. A simple call to courts or any Landlord/Tenant Attorney can answer or wait for Gail in Georgia to answer here. She will know

Your state laws on leases are covered under the Tennessee Uniform Residental Landlord and Tenant Act (see attached). Scroll down to the the section entitled Noncompliance by Tenant - Failure to Pay Rent section for the steps on how to evict them:

http://lawdigest.uslegal.com/landlord-tenant/uniform-residential-landlord-tenant-act/5103/

As Jacksgal stated, the first step is a notice that is often known as a "Pay or Quit" notice; the tenant is given a certain number of days to remedy the situation (in other words, pay up!). They would have 14 days to pay all they owe or your next step would be to file for an actual eviction through the court system. Remember that only a court can grant an actual eviction.

These "Pay or Quit" notices will often use the "tack and mail" approach; send a letter and leave a notice on the door of the dwelling. Tenants will often say they never received such a notice (even notices from the court regarding an upcoming hearing to determine whether they should be evicted or not) but it's pretty hard to argue that an eviction cannot be granted when one owes almost three months rent.

You may like and feel bad for these tenants but you also need to understand that they are quite aware you are attempting to contact them about owed rent and their method of handling this is to "dodge" you, hoping you'll go away and they'll be able to continue living rent free in your unit.

Gail

Thanks

Thanks Gail. I sent them a letter via first class mail today and will also hand deliver it to them on Saturday. Your help is much appreciated

Thanks Again

Wow Gail, You're Good. Not 3 hours after I mailed them the letter, they called and paid 1 month's rent. We are working on getting the other caught up. Just wanted to thank you again for your help. Have a great Holiday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back