Past Crimes and Fingerprints

Status
Not open for further replies.

DellLaptop

Located in Santa Clara, California 95050

My friend's house was broken into and the police found fingerprints that didn't match to anyone in the database. If the offender goes to jail for a different crime in the future, will their fingerprints automatically show up for this crime?

What I am asking is, when his fingerprints get taken at the jail, will his prints be matched with all other unsolved previous crimes, like this one?

If he goes to jail, are his prints automatically compared or is it by request of the victim?

Does my friend have to go to the police station and request a fingerprint examination/look up to keep up to date and see if the offender is on record yet?

Finger print analysis is not nearly so accurate as it may seem on CSI TV. At best, when an analyst is LOOKING for a match they get 50-100 similar matches that they go through manually and check. So the answer is no, there is no automatic checking of fingerprints against outstanding investigations.

Depending on the amount stolen in the crime, the case will periodically be reviewed by the detective assigned to it. Bugging them will help some.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back