Criminal Law How will misdemeanor affect visa application process

Status
Not open for further replies.

cribroad

Hello,

I received a misdemeanor for having an open container in a vehicle about a year ago in Michigan. I was a passenger in the automobile and not the driver. I am an Illinois resident. I am currently on H1-B status and I wanted to go to Canada and have my visa renewed. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe this offense will not fall under being a crime of moral turpitude however my question is if I check yes under the "Have you ever commited a crime" question, will I experience any delays in my visa process due to background checks and such or will I be fine and receive an immediate decision if I take my court documents and such? Your prompt response will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for your help.

1) You cannot answer a question falsely just because you want to obtain a VISA. That should be obvious.

2) If memory serves correct, such a misdemeanor should not be considered a crime of moral turpitude. Usually it involves intent to commit an act that shows bad moral character, e.g. theft.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back