Speeding Ticket Deferred...is it on my record?

Status
Not open for further replies.

criticalmass

I went to court today on a speeding ticket and the officer offered to recommend to the judge that the sentence be deferred because my driving record is completely clean. I was prepared to contest my case if need be and feel I had a satisfactory chance of success in having the case dismissed. However, the explanation by the officer of the deferral process sounded agreeable to me (30 days no infractions, court costs of $50, and the ticket will be dismissed after successful completion) so I entered a no contest plea and the judge deferred the sentence. Turns out the officer left out some important details that I didn't know about the deferral route.

From what I see on the internet now that I'm looking into it, successful completion of the probationary period will ensure that the ticket is not reported to the Department of Licensing but you cannot defer more than one ticket in a 7 year period. So the fact that you were ticketed and elected to have the ticket deferred must be on some record somewhere in order to track the 7 year period, correct? What record is that? Is it a record visible to police officers all over the country or just in the local jurisdiction where I entered the no contest plea?

My question is do I have to avoid any tickets for the next 7 years anywhere in the country to avoid being put in the position where I either have to contest it in court or plead guilty, or just avoid tickets in the same jurisdiction where the original ticket was issued?

This was an important detail that was not explained to me and I can't find an answer online. The ticket was issued in New Mexico if the state law matters in this case.

The way it was explained to me I understood that after 30 days there would be no record whatsoever that I was ever ticketed. I had a good chance to beat this ticket because of the specific situation and had I known that this would be my only deferment nation wide for 7 years I wouldn't have wasted it here.

Any info is appreciated.
Thanks.

Something like this would still remain on your driving record with the DMV, but it would not have any points against you and would not be visible or reported to your insurance... essentially, it would not exist unless you got busted again.... and that would only apply to the state.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back